Chain cooking

rac12race

Anyone have a recipe on cooking the chain in crockpot that works good on dirt track Especially the oil and wax combo. THANKS

Anyone have a recipe on cooking the chain in crockpot that works good on dirt track Especially the oil and wax combo. THANKS
Lucas Chain Oil in a crockpot.
Add paraffin wax or not -- I don't bother.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I do 10-15min. How long do you think?
Depends on how hot the oil is. The hotter the better (without burning of course) in my opinion. This helps open up the metal between the links to allow the dirt to fall out and the oil to penetrate better.
I normally let mine in for a couple of hours. I have left it in overnight and saw no real problems with doing that. Just be sure to let it drip dry before putting it back on the kart. I've got a pegboard hook that I hang mine right over the pot so the excess oil drips back into the pot.

Depends on how hot the oil is. The hotter the better (without burning of course) in my opinion. This helps open up the metal between the links to allow the dirt to fall out and the oil to penetrate better.
I normally let mine in for a couple of hours. I have left it in overnight and saw no real problems with doing that. Just be sure to let it drip dry before putting it back on the kart. I've got a pegboard hook that I hang mine right over the pot so the excess oil drips back into the pot.
i might be too hot then. if i forget about them and leave them they will discolor

Clean the chain first with WD-40 and a air hose to blow all the stuff off that you don't want to get into your oil/wax lube. Don't clean the chain in gas or solvent because that will get into pores and contaminate your lube. You leave it in just long enough to melt the paraffin wax then you hang it over the container to collect what will drip off the chain. Put it in a plastic bag until you are going to mount it and pull the chain through a clean rag to get in excess wax off . The paraffin wax helps to seal the oil around the pins. Since 219 and #35 are not roller chain this is the best way to get lube where it is needed. I throw my sprockets into this same formulation after I clean them with the WD-40 and air.

There are three cubes in a pack (Gulf Wax) like gramma used for canning vegetables. I cut one cube in half. Put the chain and the sprockets in a coffee can after they have been cleaned and blown off. Add enough 30 weight oil to cover all the parts, now add the cube of wax. I then put the coffee can into a frying pan on low heat on the stove with about 1/2" of water in the bottom of the frying pan. The heat now makes air around the pins and links come to the surface and the oil goes into those pores. When the cube of wax melts stir it around for a minute then hang the parts over the can to collect the drippings. You can use this solution over and over adding wax when you don't see the seal forming over the oil when it cools. This all takes less than 20 minutes depending on how hot you bring up the heat on the stove. The crockpot is fine but takes longer. Some people do it on a grill with the coffee can and a tray of water around the coffee can. You just don't want to get the oil so hot you start to burn it. Burnt oil, like Carlson said, stinks. By the way, your wife should be shopping when you use her stove.

There are three cubes in a pack (Gulf Wax) like gramma used for canning vegetables. I cut one cube in half. Put the chain and the sprockets in a coffee can after they have been cleaned and blown off. Add enough 30 weight oil to cover all the parts, now add the cube of wax. I then put the coffee can into a frying pan on low heat on the stove with about 1/2" of water in the bottom of the frying pan. The heat now makes air around the pins and links come to the surface and the oil goes into those pores. When the cube of wax melts stir it around for a minute then hang the parts over the can to collect the drippings. You can use this solution over and over adding wax when you don't see the seal forming over the oil when it cools. This all takes less than 20 minutes depending on how hot you bring up the heat on the stove. The crockpot is fine but takes longer. Some people do it on a grill with the coffee can and a tray of water around the coffee can. You just don't want to get the oil so hot you start to burn it. Burnt oil, like Carlson said, stinks. By the way, your wife should be shopping when you use her stove.
Better send your wife on a vacation if you are doing it in the house. Lol

Back