Chain guard question

nogoats

Why do you really need a chain guard? Does it keep the chain from coming off the sprocket? Or is the purpose some other reason? I've been using a Phantom chain guard that bolts on the motor instead of the kind that rotates with the chain. Just trying to see if it's even necessary.

If you're talking about the sprocket guard...it depends. I've ran pavement for years and never needed one, but on the dirt, I figured out pretty quick that I did need one for dirt.

Personal preference in my view. I was running the same engine mount chain guide on the motor mount as you. Had someone land on the back of my kart about a month ago and bent a Nitro sprocket and ruined the chain. So, my personal preference for the time being is that I replaced the motor mount chain guide with the new Rocket full circle sprocket chain guide hoping to not have any more gears and chains destroyed.

That's thing that mounts on the rear sprocket is to keep the chain from hitting the ground, it has nothing to do with the chain breaking and hitting you. The engine mounted guard is for the that purpose.

I'll just say this....it gets annoying when you have to go thru caution after caution in the race because the same persons chain keeps coming off.....it drags out the races longer than should be needed all because they think not having a guide or guards will give them a couple extra tenths on the track or something, which I haven't found to be true. I'd rather know my chain isn't coming off

I know that if your chain comes off once, it's junk and you shouldn't bother to put it back on. I was only wanting to know the real purpose of a chain guide, specifically the Phantom guide that bolts to the motor mount.

I have the Phantom guide and the chassis clamp on guide, I got spun last night and blew a chain off, I like a lot of slack in my chain though. I was able to roll it back on and finish the race. The only issue I ever had with the sprocket guards is rocks getting jammed between the gear and the guard, I'm debating on switching back to that style as I've been having chain issues during spin outs. I went from 2009 to 2014 without any series drive line failures, I had it happen twice last year and once last night.

If your running chain loose try running the sprocket guide on the right side only but I prefer it to be tighter with both guards and haven't had any failures. Check your allignment and axle thrust. Worn cassetts will give you problems in allignment.

Now how does that little ditty go?

Watching karts go by
While you put your chain on
Watching karts go by
Waiting for the green flag
Watching karts go by
That fools chain won't stay on
Watching karts go by
Came to watch a race but
All I see is s s s s
Karts going by
While they put their chain on
Will we - ever see
One green flag lap
It's enough to make you buy a sprocket guard
Watching karts go by
My god their out of fuel now
Will we ever -- make a green flag lap
Watching karts go by
you get the idea.

Back in the early 80's when we first started, I saw a guy at the track that had a scar from his elbow to at least 1/2 way to his shoulder, he said chain did it , and from then on, I have tried to have some kind of chain guard on my engines. we also use an arm rest that mounts to the side of the seat that also helps as a chain guard. I also believe that the use of a J/S on 2 strokes helps due to less chain mass.

I know that if your chain comes off once, it's junk and you shouldn't bother to put it back on. I was only wanting to know the real purpose of a chain guide, specifically the Phantom guide that bolts to the motor mount.

The PRC motor mount chain guide is made to keep the chain from coming off and is designed to use in place of the sprocket guards. There is a Video on PRCs site about the chain guide that discusses why use, why PRC thinks better than sprocket guards, and proper installation.
http://phantomchassis.com/instructional-videos.html

try the U-Max roller chain guide. It has a slotted wheel that the chain rides in and you can run your chain a little looser with better security. (less than $40.00) or buy a chaindraggon......

Back