chain slack?

Mitchell

I know this is a rookie question but how much slack do you really want in the chain Im only used to motorcycles so i guessed about an inch or a little more.

About an 1/8 inch of play you do want it too loose when you get bump the chain will fall off if to much play if you hit a big enough bump on thetrack

i was always told than if on a flathead, you should be able to just barely take press the chain against the crank case bolt closest to the oil fill. never had a chain come off ever (knock on wood)

Seems racers confuse tension and pre load on chain set ups. Tension occurs when a load is placed on the sprockets during a in service situation (kart is movinig and clutch is locked in). The nice thing about a ChainDragGone chain management system is a pre load can be placed on the chain on the stand, and then checked when the kart is placed on the ground or shop floor with the driver is seated in the kart. Yes there will be a difference in the chain (Tension) at that point, because untill the kart is started the chain does not have a load place on it. One of the best points about using the CDRP system is you can control this. Excessive slack is a clutch,sprocket, Engine killer that cost racers money every weekend! Sprocket guards were a great idea but technology has shown us they are used because proper chain to sprocket alignment wasen't considered important. As usual cost will be brought up, and as I see it, just like electric lifts are a lot cheaper than back surgery or an injury that comes from lifting a super heavy kart trying to make an adult class weight. JMHO
Scott@Chaindraggone

Back