Champ kart engine?

Minnick88

I just bought a cage kart and ill be running senior champ and im wanting to know what engine i need to purchase. Clone, animal, or flathead. Any ideas? I live in northeast indiana

Depends on what track you will be running at for sure.
As posted above, K3 will be unrestricted animal for 2016.
I believe that Akron will still be 3 hole gold and unrestricted flathead (check with the track though first.)
There is also a pavement champ series in central Indiana that uses the LO206 that has a good car count. (see separate thread on this forum)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I am of the opinion that mixing is a good way of maintaining the kart count, but it should only be used until the field is 90% animal, then we should pull the restrictor plates out.

If you are looking for the best option on cost you should go with the sealed LO206. I personally do not own a clone, but it is becoming an option on a champ.

Right now you can just about draw a line across our country -- (think I-70): Everything south runs primarily clones, everything north runs primarily Briggs (this is true on champs as well.) We would have made it down to run at Bloomington last year but they said no Briggs (flathead or animal) champs allowed unless we brought 6 to make our own class. Same deal with the KY Burris indoor series -- our jr champs have both blue plate flatheads and animals for them -- I'm not going to get clones just for a couple of races. Besides that, I'm not a fan of the clone at all (especially all the import part specs and rules changes.) Flathead and animal rules have remained pretty much unchanged for 10+ years. The clone is not "cheap" like it was when it was introduced and caught on anymore either.
The Lo206 is a great option, but getting folks to change (buy another engine) is like pulling teeth. They were quick to jump on the clone at $300 and ride it all the way to the $1200 engine it is now, but those same folks aren't ditching their clones so easily to buy the 206 that has the same or more power for $600 an lose their competitive advantage they have with a blueprinted engine. The group at Lapel (Speedcreek) made a consensus to go to the LO206 and it worked well for them (champ car count and talk about competitive!)
Most of the midwest was on 3 hole gold animal and unrestricted flathead sr champs up until the last year or two when some tracks opened it up to unrestricted animals (for more power); and the midsouth went the direction of the clone since all their flat karts had already gone that way.

It is what it is at this point. Karting has become kind of like RC car club racing - you bring several different car/motor packages with you to the track in hopes of having a full class to run with anymore.

It might run comparable lap times (within a tenth maybe a bit more) if the kart is well set-up at Stateline. That is only due to the nature of the track, wide open with low rpm drops on a 206. Akron I do not believe that a 206 would come close to drag racing an un-restricted animal.

It might run comparable lap times (within a tenth maybe a bit more) if the kart is well set-up at Stateline. That is only due to the nature of the track, wide open with low rpm drops on a 206. Akron I do not believe that a 206 would come close to drag racing an un-restricted animal.

Yep, I'd agree with that assessment. We had an LO206 run with the 3 hole gold animals at K3 (more similar configuration track to Akron than Stateline for sure) and it was very competitive. The HP difference of an LO206 against an unrestricted/blueprinted animal, it wouldn't even be close (not at Stateline either.)

There will be a ten race champ kart series that runs the 206 in central Indiana. Tracks include Indianapolis Speedrome, Anderson Speedway and Whiteland Raceway. Racing starts in May goes til September. Saturday nights mixed in with regular track programs. Probably 18-22 karts per event hopefully more. Weight #400. Tires are Hoosier, Vega or Burris. Must run same brand on all 4 corners. Any compound.

It is called The Indiana Champ Kart Series. Series will start in May. Schedule should be finalized by end of February. Hopefully there will be some sort of facebook page to follow.

Minnick88,
Give us a call. We've got LO206s in stock. We're a full time shop that's open 8-6 Mon-Fri, and accept credit and bank debit cards. We're not that far from you and we'll also be at all the midwest swap meets. If you want one of our race-ready 206 packages brought to a show, just give us a call ahead of time to let us know. We'll be at Dayton, OH, Lebanon, IN, & Peotone, IL shows.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back