Champion blocks

WinstonSmith

Just currious about this Champion generator block I have.
Anyone have much experience with the 196 champion build?

I took one apart in 09 and the casting was ugly inside with flaws at the very bottom of the case.
This did not leave me with much faith.

Now with my Champion Generator retired ( same vintage and I have not opned it up since it's a runner. Wrong crank and case cover obviously )with very low hours I was considering the seasoned block for a 70mm bore.
Any comments or sugestions
I have a few Lifan case covers and assorted mystery cranks and race parts to pick from.
Nothing firm in mind yet.

The champion blocks are fine I have built my modifieds out of them hold up well.
just swap out cranks.the other thing you will see it has more cooling fins all the way down to the block and wider
so if you wanted to use a Lifan or Honda OR ducar side cover you have to
cut off the one tab that's closer to the bottom fin of the head.even have to
remove some of the cooling fin and your good to go.the valve cover gaskets
is the best their is along with the sump side gaskets,and the rockers every one
wants them.the rockers in yours are the 1/2 moon I would think and are cast
they hold up very very well.or you can just buy the reg 196 side cover

Are the Champion and Greyhounds the same? Do 'both' of them NOT have the long-ear extenions (ie: BSP) off the front that support the 'std' top plates? I am looking for a non-eared, BSP compatable Block/Case for a 'mod' build.

Thanks.
Need to look at that cooling fin issue.

Now if I can scavange a Honda crank and case cover, a 70mm Loncin flat top piston I'll be in buisness.

Are the Champion and Greyhounds the same? Do 'both' of them NOT have the long-ear extenions (ie: BSP) off the front that support the 'std' top plates? I am looking for a non-eared, BSP compatable Block/Case for a 'mod' build.

I have the block your needing screamer, Pm me if you would like to have it and we'll work something out. I actually have a few laying around, both BSP and Greyhound blocks, all good seasoned blocks and would be perfect for a modified build.

Why do you want the honda crank, if i may ask? Just curious

Comfort level.
I don't have easy access to many of the aftermarket clones and parts you fellows down there do.
I have a brand new Lifan ( 2011 I guess still in the box ) from Princess auto.
I could use its crank, but I really do not know where the limits are.

Big cam, big piston big valves, big carb.
Big trouble for the PA black clone crank?
Not sure.....

I would not worry about the cranks they are fine in fact even better then true Honda
but to be fair I have had both break but nothing wrong with them.I would use the
lifan in the champion.:cool:I have turned them 8800 + still good.
and so have others.

No they are not the same
If your talking about what I call the turkey legs that the tank bolted to I have both styles
with and with out.

I have a waspe crank that cracked and the engine siezed up ( but did nto blow up ).
I had a black clone smash a wrist pin.

These made me gun shy.....

So where can I find a 210FA flat top piston gentlemen?
Moving ahead with a 208 hemi....

No they are not the same
If your talking about what I call the turkey legs that the tank bolted to I have both styles
with and with out.

I looked at the new Lifan and the champion blocks.
I could not picck out the difference you mention.
I'll have to do a mock up and see where this issue is.

On the champion block the cooling fins on the block are wider and all the way down
if you look at the lifan block the fins on the block are very small or not there.
this is why I said if you are going to use the lifan side cover it has a extra ear on
the top right corner.this will hit the fins on the champion and would need to be
cut off.the best way to look at is the champ block jug is wider.if you have both
put them side by side.I will have to take a picture and post it.

Back