Champion Engine Help

OldSchool33

I recently purchased a kart in a package deal. The kart is an IONIC Edge Chassis by Luttrell Racing. The Champion engine was rebuilt by the previous owner. I'm trying to figure out why the engine is running so rough and does not produce any power. Any help is appreciated.

[video=youtube;wEGdqZaXUKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEGdqZaXUKw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks again.

Five things most commonly associated with a poor running engine.
1. Poor ignition system, which includes the spark plug & timing.
2. Carburetor.
3. Compression pressure. (Low)
4. Blown head gasket.
5. Bad fuel.

sounds like someone added the filter adapter and didnt fix the jets in the carb for the extra air.
put the air filter back on and tape all but a small area up and see if it runs better if it does you need to change the jet

Five things most commonly associated with a poor running engine.
1. Poor ignition system, which includes the spark plug & timing.
2. Carburetor.
3. Compression pressure. (Low)
4. Blown head gasket.
5. Bad fuel.

Good call, the plug appears to be pretty fouled and covered in gasoline. I am picking up a new one tomorrow. Another video coming!

Here is my update on getting the 4 Cycle Engine Kart going.

Now the engine will not start at all...

Champion / Race prepped Rebuilt Engine that came with the car
1) Changed all the fuel & removed debris out of lines and tank
2) Replaced the fouled plug with a new one
2) Used a in line spark plug tester and verified that the plug is getting energy
3) Replaced the fuel pump, verified that the carb is getting gas
4) Removed pull start and used a hand drill to try to turn over the engine, no luck
5) Took apart and cleaned the race carb / jets with carb cleaner. Soaked jets. There was rust and varnish throughout the carb. - Engine will only begin to start when I spray an excessive amount starter fluid, but then cut off. It almost seems as the carb is clogged still.
6) Swapped on a generic carb, no luck. Engine will only begin to start when I spray an excessive amount starter fluid, but then cut off. It almost seems as the carb is clogged still.
7) I attempt to start the engine with the plastic bag over the air breather.

Next Steps. Do you have any ideas besides the ones below?
1) Buy a new Thai Race carb, similar to the one on the engine
Specs
Bored 200
95 Jet
.020 Pilot

2) Remove the engine/disassemble to verify that the crank and camshaft are lined up correctly

* Should I start looking for a replacement engine online from NR Racing? I have a ton of receipts from NR Racing, from the prior owner.
http://www.nrracing.com/

Here is my update on getting the 4 Cycle Engine Kart going.

Now the engine will not start at all...

Champion / Race prepped Rebuilt Engine that came with the car
1) Changed all the fuel & removed debris out of lines and tank
2) Replaced the fouled plug with a new one
2) Used a in line spark plug tester and verified that the plug is getting energy
3) Replaced the fuel pump, verified that the carb is getting gas
4) Removed pull start and used a hand drill to try to turn over the engine, no luck
5) Took apart and cleaned the race carb / jets with carb cleaner. Soaked jets. There was rust and varnish throughout the carb. - Engine will only begin to start when I spray an excessive amount starter fluid, but then cut off. It almost seems as the carb is clogged still.
6) Swapped on a generic carb, no luck. Engine will only begin to start when I spray an excessive amount starter fluid, but then cut off. It almost seems as the carb is clogged still.
7) I attempt to start the engine with the plastic bag over the air breather.

Sounds like you've cleaned everything up pretty nice. Even with a different carb, if it's not firing and the plug is wet I'd almost bet it's a timing issue. If the flywheel held on with a key? Did that key shear? I'm with Al in that I bet timing might be way off. Also, make sure your solenoid isn't touching the flywheel either.
If it fired before and won't fire now, even after all the cleaning it won't be your Cam/Crank alignment. It's very difficult/almost impossible to skip a tooth and if you did it's because something internally is broke somewhere that allowed that to happen.

Back