Cheap Flathead Question

sundog

I see allot of them for sale $200-$350 what's your experience with used flateheads. Do they all have worn out cranks and flat cams and sloppy valve guides or are they pretty tight?

I have sold afew flatheads in that price range that were in great running shape! Seems that the "flathead" world hit a low there for awhile dropping the selling price of the flathead way way way low! I just sold a front running, fresh flathead for $250. I see guys trying to sell top name builder stock flatheads for $800 and above, seems they are stil "trying" to sell them today with no luck. Of course this is JMO!

I'm with meracer9....down here where I run we are all animals, and REAL good flatheads are dirt cheap because they just aren't raced. I sold a very good stock appearing flathead Monday that had 60 laps on a fresh rebuild for $300 shipped. oddly, sent it right up into meracer's area!

I'm with meracer9....down here where I run we are all animals, and REAL good flatheads are dirt cheap because they just aren't raced. I sold a very good stock appearing flathead Monday that had 60 laps on a fresh rebuild for $300 shipped. oddly, sent it right up into meracer's area!

Don't get me wrong, the flathead classes in this area probably averaged 8 to 10 karts this season between 3 different tracks. The point being it just seems the flathead engine new, used, a season old or after being freshened just it's worth much these days!

Yeah but when they get re-freshed they don't usually do anything to the bottom end right. Something .015 over probably has a bad crankpin and flat cam.

As always, let the buyer beware...but that really hasn't been my experience buying flatheads. The ones I've bought inexpensively lately had ARC rods with inserts that you could tell were relarively fresh. I've given $10 at flea markets just to let me take the side cover off and have a look inside...

Like many of you have experienced, I have bought several really good "big name" flatheads on here priced right. They all needed freshened, but since I build engines, that's not a problem for me -- I insist on going through every engine I get in before I let it go back out the door anyhow. Typically, I sell fresh "name" flatheads on here priced anywhere from $500 - $850. When the guy gets it, he knows EXACTLY what hes' getting - no hidden surprises.
Over the last year or two now, I've been seeing an increase in demand/sales of flatheads due to the increased cost of the clones. When you can buy a fresh flathead for less than a fresh (or new) clone, guys are going back to their old flathead stuff. Seems crazy, but at least with the flathead, guys know what the rules will be, how often the engine needs gone through, and pretty much what it will cost them. Aside from the low entry price, no constant updates and rules changes seems to be the attractiveness.
Things will get even more interesting with the new clone rules released now. ;)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Yeah but when they get re-freshed they don't usually do anything to the bottom end right. Something .015 over probably has a bad crankpin and flat cam.

Anybody that know what they are doing would check this stuff during a freshen. A "freshen" could have different terms depending on who you are!

In my experience the guides are usually worn, bore should be reasonable unless its at max already , cranks typically are not bad.
same with cam if its been cared for at all. , basic refresh and your good.
I would say you have a better then 50/50 chance of getting a good one.
In addition The lifter bores can be an issue as well worn or even broken .
so guides and lifter bores which most people do not have tooling for a repair.
If you send it out and replace the guides and grind the seats , you have another $100 what with shipping and all

Back