Checkerd flag racing engines

All_Knight

I got a jr clone in a buy out and I was wondering if checkerd flag are good motors.

Attachments

• received_848818502365989.jpeg
    received_848818502365989.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 61
They build good engines. But the real question when buying a used engine is. When was it built?? And what rule set was it built for! AND how many races on it! Especially with a clone.

Here the info on the motor i got.Checkered Flag Engine built in Concord NC. Engine came with a kart we bought. Info about engine is following, provided by previous owner. Was refreshened beginning of last year (2020). Ran a few times till Covid stopped racing. Raced a few more times at end of last year. 3-6 nights on engine. Its a jr1/jr2 motor

Choices:
Run it like it is and see what happens
Call Checkered Flag and ask them. They are good engine builders. Great machinists.
Take it to a local builder and have them check it out
But from what you say it should be ok. Maybe just clean the carb out to make sure it is not gummed up. Change oil, make sure it turns over freely. Maybe adjust valves. Fire it up make sure it runs Put it in the dirt and race! Unless it is a paved track..

Just because it was originally built by Checkered Flag, doesn't mean it is still the same as it left Checkered Flag. Any number of hands could have been in it.

It could be Checkered Flag like he said too .
If it was five years old in Nebraska , then it could be suspect .

Just because it was originally built by Checkered Flag, doesn't mean it is still the same as it left Checkered Flag. Any number of hands could have been in it.
Here the info on the motor i got.Checkered Flag Engine built in Concord NC. Engine came with a kart we bought. Info about engine is following, provided by previous owner. Was refreshened beginning of last year (2020). Ran a few times till Covid stopped racing. Raced a few more times at end of last year. 3-6 nights on engine. Its a jr1/jr2 motor

Was it freshened b Checkered Flag?.....Some people's ideas of "freshening up" a engine is running a hone down the cylinder. That's the thing you don't know. Some people will tell you anything to sell you something.

Was it freshened b Checkered Flag?.....Some people's ideas of "freshening up" a engine is running a hone down the cylinder. That's the thing you don't know. Some people will tell you anything to sell you something.
I agree with you 100 % that is why I suggested
Call checkered flag
Have a local builder look the engine over
Or just run it a see what happens.
If it were me, I would call Checkered flag and give them the name of the origional owner. or just send them the engine.
I bought a limited modified flathead from a person, who described it this way.

"I bought this engine from a guy that was quitting racing due to health.
It appears to be Tod Miller engine, I looked inside and is clean as new.
Strictly a high end engine with lots of high end parts." Direct quote!
When i opened it up, the piston had rings had rusted to the cylinder wall and just been broken free, Crank was worn beyond repair. carb was trash and not the right one for the intake, One lobe the intake lobe on cam was worn down to almost nothing. Lucky That I paid with pay pal and checked purchase good or services and got my money back. The other person did not even want the engine back.

So, Call checkered flag, get another builder to look at it, or just run it. Unless you want to tear it down yourself. I can't think of any other options.

Attachments

• rusty rings.jpg
    rusty rings.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 59
I had the engine checked and its in great shape and braxtin ran it last weekend and its fast. Being 6 and his very first time racing he just has to more seat time to get it under control but he had a great time even though he didn't make the top 3.

Attachments

• received_474854297142500.jpeg
    received_474854297142500.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210527_082935.jpg
    20210527_082935.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 30
Years ago (2001) they cost my son a championship by machining the top of a flathead piston. All in all it worked out well as that is when I decided to build my own, and found more power legally.

Back