Clone class engine questions

Provff26

Just wana get some info and a good conversation going. Racing a 1/8mi oval asphalt track next year. I know ill probably have to contact the club for this, but there are three clone classes that i can/would like to run. Champ clone, clone heavy and box stock clone. These are listed on the rules n regs of the track. They also go by akra rules for these classes. From what i hear the engines are different b/t box stock and the 2 others. but looking at the akra rulebook the only thing i see for clones is the box stock specs and then the modified alcohol engines. I know champ clone and heavy dont run alky. So what would be the difference? Im purchasing my motor soon and want to order it spec'd to run the most classes i can. Cam pipe etc. what is generally the difference between box stock champ and champ clone the only diff i see on their site is weights. 375 bs, 400 champ clone and 425 heavy.

Also if you have any recommendations for this size track as to what cam flywheel etc to run id appreciate it very much. And as always thanks for the help

The best thing 2do is (like you said) check w/the track 'FIRST' b4 you buy! It sounds like they have a Box-Stock class @375lbs and (2) classes of the same classification with 'some' modifications allowed and different weights. We will have too know their rules b4 making any suggestions.

Great! Dang....Rhode Island(?) That's the Only state i've never been in....I cudn't find it! Also, a guy told me ran a 'sprint' race one time there and it was a (10)lap race around the boarder-line! True Story :)

Hahahaaa i like those. For how small it is it sure is chocked full. And not enough racetracks. Hopin to get outa here in a few years. Find some better race country lol. That damn life and career crap keeps gettin in the way. Anyone of you engine builder guys need a yankee for some bull work in your shop?? Preferably south of the mason dixon lol. Help i need to get outa here! But no seriously lol

Generally, the only real difference between box stock clone and the other clone classes you mentioned, such as Pro clone, are this:

Box stock in most areas you have to use a 3/4" pipe, while some allow big pipes, and you use a drum clutch. Jetting may also be different if using a smaller pipe.

Pro clone or Clone you use any big pipe, up to .41 main jet, and open clutch, which most use disc clutch.

Other than those, there really isnt a difference. The internals are the same, and are spec'd and tech'd the same. Some tracks, like around here in Ky, spec that you must use stock airbox, 3/4" weenie pipe, and shoe clutch, along with stock or billet steel flywheel.

Also, if you plan on running as many classes as you can and not spend much money, you can buy 2 engines, one set up for Box Stock rules and the other set up for Clone rules. If you really wanted to save money and the rules are basically the same other than the pipe and clutch your allowed to use, then you could order just one engine and change pipe and clutch when you want to run a different class. I have seen some do that also, but its hard to run multiple classes the same day unless your running the same class but just different weights, such as clone lite, medium and heavy.

What i do is i have 2 engines for each class, in case something goes wrong with the engine i normally use so i will have a backup. And when i go to a race i like to run mulltiple classes also, so if i go to race AKRA clone classes, ill have the AKRA clone engine on the kart, and will race all 3 weight classes, lite medium and heavy. I cant race super heavy because the driver has to weight 200lbs around here and im only 155. Ill scale my kart for the medium class and i have sheets of lead that i can take out or put in the seat to switch classes, so im not running overweight in 2 of the 3 classes. If you have the weight in the center of the seat as in a sheet of lead, the changes to your chassis setup will be pretty minimal if any when you remove or add a sheet of lead, since your just adding or removing weight from basically the driver, not to different parts of the chassis and changing percentages, IMO. Iv had good luck doing it this way the last season.

Sooo i talked to the track and they said the box stock is flats and the other two use box stock akra specs also, theyre just champ classes. They run the weenie pipe and any akra aftermarket flywheel.

So by akra box stock specs what would you guys recommend for carb, cam, flywheel and pipe. To get my champ around a 1/8th mi asphalt oval. Ive been told its a momentum track an drafting sort of come into play. Only thing i forgot to ask was if there was which clutch they use.

Hahahaaa i like those. For how small it is it sure is chocked full bullshhhtuff. And not enough racetracks. Hopin to get outa here in a few years. Find some better race country lol. That damn life and career crap keeps gettin in the way. Anyone of you engine builder guys need a yankee for some bull work in your shop?? Preferably south of the mason dixon lol. Help i need to get outa here! But no seriously lol
Glad you liked that! What EVER you do...DO NOT come too California (now pronounced... Cali-exico) unless your goal is too contribute to 'Government Welfare'!! Seriously...if you're a 'racer', stay back there...just further south. (as u-stated) :)

Haha cali is the last place id go. We call mass the east coast cali. And people from mass are disgusted with ri hahaha

Haha cali is the last place id go. We call mass the east coast cali. And people from mass are disgusted with ri hahaha

you call a place that generally gets 8" to 8ft of snow each year "cali" of the east coast? Lol Yall really are some crazy folks then. Iv been to Mass, and while the scenery is amazing, the cold is not for me lol. I thought Ky was cold in the winter and that we got some snow, i have never seen anything like it compared to Mass in february, particularly around Chesterfield and Springfield. I loved it there though i gotta admit. Aint no feeling like it when your sittin in a hot tub on the back porch, negative 30 below with 6-8' of snow on the ground and a bottle of Jack D :)

Hahaha yea this year has been especially cold too no bueno for all the busted body parts lol. But we werent referring to the weather, more to our wonderful "societies" lol. I need to escape from all the yuppies, crazzzzy liberals and feral humans hahaha. Id take -30 all year to escape out politics and people.

Btw anyone have any engine advice lol

you call a place that generally gets 8" to 8ft of snow each year "cali" of the east coast? Lol Yall really are some crazy folks then. Iv been to Mass, and while the scenery is amazing, the cold is not for me lol. I thought Ky was cold in the winter and that we got some snow, i have never seen anything like it compared to Mass in february, particularly around Chesterfield and Springfield. I loved it there though i gotta admit. Aint no feeling like it when your sittin in a hot tub on the back porch, negative 30 below with 6-8' of snow on the ground and a bottle of Jack D :)
When I was on the Big road I saw more ice on Ky highways than I saw in all '47'....RI exempt!! LOL

When I was on the Big road I saw more ice on Ky highways than I saw in all '47'....RI exempt!! LOL

Exactly right, its pure H*** driving on Ky roads in the winter around here, especially where i live in the country where its mainly backroads and one main highway (127) running thru the city. Really gotta watch for the idiot drivers, new kid drivers txting on their cell phones, and the minivan moms with the phone glued to their ears while reaching toward the back swatting at whichever kid she can smack first LOL. Makes for some crazy wrecks this time of the year, im glad i drive a 4x4 that way if i see one coming my way or in my way, i can veer to the right and take er thru the ditch and into the fields and woods without a worry of tearing up my ride lol

Provff26, I race at the track your talking about. Pomfret speedway in CT. We have 3 box stock clone classes.

clone heavy flat kart, clone champ 400 and 425lbs. We use AKRA rules with small pipe and shoe clutch for the 3 classes. All other classes are animal and one 2 cycle class. If you need anymore info, you can PM me here. We have a pretty good kart count in the clone classes.

Greg

Thanks greg. I actually got into contact with arthur yesterday and he was able to clarify my question. When you say shoe clutch you mean just a regular drum clutch right. Not disk like a hortsman or bully. Just wana make sure that was the only thing i forgot to ask him. Im gona be putting together one of the box stock projects on my own and just trying to get some info on the interchangeables like different small pipes and cams. Dont have the dough to drop in a big builder engine.

Arthur is a great guy and will always help you. Correct, a drum clutch. Disc clutches not allowed. Open tire rule as long as same manufacturer. Clone Gear rule for all clone classes is 16 tooth for the clutch, and 58-62 rear gear.

Back