Clone Green Plate

kamml53

Site Supporter
Now that my son is racing Beginner Predator, I am planning his next racing class. What is Clone Green Plate, and what will I need for him to be competitive in this class with a 260lb weight requirement? I will appreciate any advice.

It is a green restrictor plate . behind the carb . using a 196 clone engine .
A engine built for that specific class would be best .

Best and most effective advice is to get your kid to keep up the momentum in the kart. Restrictor karts classes are just like big car restrictor races. No lift or a quick burp of the throttle on entry, try to stay WOT. Takes a good setup also.

An engine is what I am interested in, basically where and how much. I have found clone kit motors to assemble, but I am unsure if that is the best route. I might enjoy building the kit, which will lower the initial expenditure while we grow into the class. But I want him to be competitive too, so any opinions.

Fully built by a builder can be 800-1500 . Kit much cheaper .
ready to run add plate probably still 500 .
Green plate it may not matter , although Every builder engine i have bought was better then the ones i Built .
If you want to do your own Box Stock Project , has plenty of options as do many other suppliers .

Ashway has a rookie red plate class that would be the next step for him
An engine is what I am interested in, basically where and how much. I have found clone kit motors to assemble, but I am unsure if that is the best route. I might enjoy building the kit, which will lower the initial expenditure while we grow into the class. But I want him to be competitive too, so any opinions.
Now that my son is racing Beginner Predator, I am planning his next racing class. What is Clone Green Plate, and what will I need for him to be competitive in this class with a 260lb weight requirement? I will appreciate any advice.

When I look at the reg.s for Ashway, they do not have a flat-kart rookie red plate class listed. I agree that it would be the next one for him to enter. He raced last Saturday and pulled a second and third from the two races he entered. He stayed on the racing line all night and seems comfortable with his Sythe. We were running 9lbs and 8lbs for air pressure. The grip just kept getting better as the night went on. Probably could have gone to 10 lbs right side without any issues. But he went home a happy boy, and that is what this is all about. And again, thank you for your help. The Predator ran like a top all night.

When I look at the reg.s for Ashway, they do not have a flat-kart rookie red plate class listed. I agree that it would be the next one for him to enter. He raced last Saturday and pulled a second and third from the two races he entered. He stayed on the racing line all night and seems comfortable with his Sythe. We were running 9lbs and 8lbs for air pressure. The grip just kept getting better as the night went on. Probably could have gone to 10 lbs right side without any issues. But he went home a happy boy, and that is what this is all about. And again, thank you for your help. The Predator ran like a top all night.
Why not stay with the predator? There's usually a better chance of predators showing up vs plate engines.

Why not stay with the predator? There's usually a better chance of predators showing up vs plate engines.
i agree, i sure wouldn't go from predator red plate to clone red plate. Thats a lateral move. Even Predator red to Clone green isn't much of a jump. Let him run the green on the predator for practice days until he is ready for the next predator or a higher clone class.

There are usually 3-4 rookie red plates at the points races but not weekly Saturday shows, we are currently looking at the next level class for the beginners at Ashway since there has been an abundance of them this year, I’d like to keep the beginner class for the true novice beginner, and add a class of predator rookie with possibly more RPM and gear, we will do what ever it takes to take care of these kids, I’d be glad to help anyway possible just reach out 865-585-1331
Tater

There are usually 3-4 rookie red plates at the points races but not weekly Saturday shows, we are currently looking at the next level class for the beginners at Ashway since there has been an abundance of them this year, I’d like to keep the beginner class for the true novice beginner, and add a class of predator rookie with possibly more RPM and gear, we will do what ever it takes to take care of these kids, I’d be glad to help anyway possible just reach out 865-585-1331
Tater
Do you run red plate champs and or jr sportsman champ classes

Last year we had a few red plate champs, but this year they have moved to purple plate tho a few still need to be in red, we have a beginner predator champ and jr sportsman champ (purple plate)

I want to continue to run my son in Beginner Predator this year but I am interested in moving him on starting next season. I like the idea of Predator Rookie with just more RPM and Gear rule changes. That lets me continue to challenge his driving skill and adds to his fun factor.

i agree, i sure wouldn't go from predator red plate to clone red plate. Thats a lateral move. Even Predator red to Clone green isn't much of a jump. Let him run the green on the predator for practice days until he is ready for the next predator or a higher clone class.
Your point is spot on. They're not running a plate in the predator class; just limiting rpm's and a gear rule. The performance of a predator vs a restricted clone are fairly equal. For weekly events it's really hard to justify running a clone in the JR classes. This track has done a tremendous job introducing more kids into karting. I think the simplicity and low cost of the engine plays a part in that. I'm sure they'll have a good plan for next season.

Back