clone motor locked up ( need some advise)

mtpcage

Well here I go. New to karting so deal with me on the terminology. Have a motor that was built by prior owner box stock with Dover head and carburetor and dyno cam . When running it last night the bolts on the crankshaft cover came loose causing the motor to lock up. Learned lesson to double check everything ( all bolts).

I guess the only option would be to take the head, carb and flywheel off and pull on different block.

Thanks

that would work. cam as well.
the other options could just be a crank and rod. must disassemble to be sure.
kit engine may be best option, then repair or use first engine for parts.

Agree with flattop better just to get another motor use all your add ons and flywheel by the time you buy all parts can almost get a new motor akra rules. I'm not a big name builder so i dont charge the prices they do, not trying to sell you a motor but guaranty you can run with any legal clone out there with a good setup, and also take trade ins price depends on what you got. So if i can be any help to you send me a PM or there are plenty other engine builders on this site as well that could help.
Good Luck

i would look at the crankshaft bearings (block, sidecover), could have tweaked the rod, which then could have cocked the piston rings, which then could have scored the cylinder walls, etc., etc., only way youre gonna know is to get it apart to start eliminating possibilities.

thank will try and get some more details when i get home. all i know so far is the bolts were out of bottom of cover and the seal was out.

if the side covers bolts were loose/came out, then the motor surely lost most/all of the oil from the crankcase, which most likely lead to oil starvation at all critical areas. the crank, rod, cylinder wall, cam/lifters etc., etc., hate to say, but more times than not, you dont get lucky when something like this happens. :(

spin

Cam maybe okay have had few guys forget to put oil in motors destroyed everything but cam was still good. I would say cam is good but would have to see it.

odds are the block is good.. BUT the rod and crank are trash.. Cam also should be fine..
Depending on knowledge of these engines should direct you in which way to go..
You do the work and replace bad parts or buy a new assembled short blk..
Direction #1 >> Lets say $100
Direction #2 >> just under $200

Theirs a reason the sump came off and we had our share.. BUT problem was found and fixed now..

:)If there are any marks on the lobes. or any imperfection on the machined surface. I lost a engine this way and i've been racing along time. it happens. drill out the side cover bolts and tie them with safety wire on the next engine, use large bolts that you can buy at the hard ware store. If you not sure how to do this let me know I will send you a set for free. I'll do what I can to get you racing again!

Agree with flattop better just to get another motor use all your add ons and flywheel by the time you buy all parts can almost get a new motor akra rules. I'm not a big name builder so i dont charge the prices they do, not trying to sell you a motor but guaranty you can run with any legal clone out there with a good setup, and also take trade ins price depends on what you got. So if i can be any help to you send me a PM or there are plenty other engine builders on this site as well that could help.
Good Luck
Jason Brooks at BRE builds a motor second to none with great support. I run his enginea and never have to worry about being on out motored. I will stay with him as long as he is building engines. Wont break the bank either!
Chris Rogers
Rogers Brothers Motorsports
Stanton , KY

I also locked up an engine at the track last week....this week i pulled the engine apart, changed out the rod for a new one and checked the piston, rings and cylender wall for any scoring or anything, everything checked out good except the rod, and the crank had a little bit of aluminum on it from where the rod galled. I took a wire brush on a drill and removed the aluminum from the crank journal/crank pin, reinstalled a new rod, put in fresh oil, and fired up the engine. It ran great, and i ran that same engine yesterday, finishing 3rd place. It can be fixed without having to go buy a new crank, just depends on how bad your parts are. Check everything good and see what can be reused and what cant.

Edit: My engine locked up from not putting oil in it before i started it, which was a first time for me, and wouldnt have happened had i not been in a hurry.

Yea if you had just started it without oil yea might not have done as much damage, not quite as bad as driving kart at full throttle then losing all oil then locking up more will get destroyed but yea take a look at everything.

Next time instead of a wire brush get a brass one a little easier on the crank.

It was one with gold colored wire that was soft, i was assuming it was copper wire but could have been brass, im not sure, it was the softest one i had laying around out of a bunch, so i used it not wanting to scratch or score the crank journal. It did the job, whatver it was.

Back