Clone question

Rod bolts 125 in/lb and head bolts 200 in/lb. The valve lash is the clearance that you have between the tip if the valve and the rocker inside the valve cover. To set the lash, you remove your valve cover and you will see your valves and springs, rockers, and pushrods. To adjust the lash, if you look on the rocker stud there are 2 nuts there, a big one and a small one. You will need a 14mm wrench and 10mm wrench, and a set of feeler guages. First check your last to see where it is before starting with the feeler guages. You want .002 to .003 on the intake and .003 to .004 on the exhaust when the engine is warmed up and hot. I prefer to set mine with the engine hot because you will get different readings when the engine is hot and when its cold, the last opens up more as the engine gets hot.

To set the lash, make sure you have the engine at Top Dead Center and on the compression stroke, use the 14mm wrech to hold the big nut in place, then use the 10mm wrench to loosen the smaller nut, which is a locking nut to hold the bigger one in place. Once both are loose, you turn the big nut counter clockwise to loosen up the lash, or clockwise to tighten the lash. What you want to do is just barely loosen the smaller nut enough to where you can turn the big nut, and only turn the bigger one a tad bit at a time, then hold the big one in place while you tighten down the smaller nut, and check your lash again. You will likely need to adjust the lash a few times to get it right where you want it. Just repeat the process until you get the lash set where you want it. Im sure someone here may have a more simple explanation on how to do it, but this is what works for me. Its easier if you have someone to show you how to do it, or if you look on youtube and find a video for how to set valve lash on a honda gx200 clone.

Valve lash as close to zero lash as I can get (cold). Stock rod 9 ft.lb. (108 in.lb.) head 17 ft.lb. on both I oil threads and head of bolts.

Back