Clutch advise

We run Jr3 clone unrestricted winged outlaw with inferno clutch. 4 black no weights. turning about 6700rpm Is this about the right set up? also can we be loosing some speed over a disc clutch n same track? We are keeping up with the more experienced karts but trying to make up some more speed

I would think the disk to be better.
giving up spots on the starts or restarts, hard to make up lost ground.

If the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque on the starts, unless there is a significant difference in the amount of heat produced, (heat being a power loss.) both clutches are transferring pretty much the same amount of torque to the axle. If there's any difference in power transferred, it would be in the higher rpm range where one clutch might be slipping more than the other. The amount they slip is very small, but there is some slip. Pete Muller once had an article on his website that showed why light shoes with light springs slipped a little more, on the top end, than heavy shoes with heavy springs even though both slipped the same amount on the bottom end. When the Horstman disk clutch 1st came out there was a definite difference in top-in between the centrifugal clutches of the day and the Horstman disk. The disk slipped much less on the top-end.

The disk clutch will take off better on the starts!! If you are allowed to use a disk clutch I would definitely use it!! The red Vortex by SMC is very nice and can be rebuilt by the racer at hope very easily!

I hear of guys saying that their drum clutches are just as good as disc clutches -- funny I never see these guys up front at big races.
I think it all depends on the level of your competition. You "might" be just fine with a drum clutch at your local track, then again, you might get smoked if you go against guys who have their disc clutches dialed in. Either way (drum or disc), they have to be set up correctly or there's no sense in comparing the two based on performance.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks for all the responses. I have a 2 disc now and I will do some tuning on each to try to figure out what works best at each track. Most tracks we go to we have to run the drum. Now we have a new kart and 3 new motors so its like starting over this year. Ill make an update when I can.

Back