clutch driver 15t&up

el tee eff

In what conditions do you you guys run drivers like 15-16t and up?
We run a 1/5 mi dirt oval&all but a couple are on 14t,couple on 15. Just curious

In that gear ratio range, with a driver of 15 or 16, the difference needed on the axle, to remain at the same ratio, is 4 teeth. Some have a preferred number of teeth on the axle, and if they change the driver, they try to keep the axle gear in the same range. For instance; 15/60, or 16/64. If they need, for a shorter track, a lower gear ratio, maybe 4 teeth on the axle, they might put on a 14/60 rather than a 15/64 or 16/68

Many think that; a larger driver is better than a smaller driver. The debate rages on. Some think that, there are times when something happens to the track where a larger driver, with the exact same ratio, is better. I've given up debating on that subject.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

We have some 1/5 mile tracks around here and I'm on the 15 pretty much all the time, but there are some who are on 14 and others on 16, it really depends on your driving style, preference, the track layout, and things like that. IV ran all 3 drivers but the 15 gives me the best lap times, so its what I stick with.

The bigger drivers will work better at big, flat out tracks with long straightaways. Don't judge the driver by the lap times alone. Changing drivers changes where you are fastest, but it also makes you slower somewhere else. It's more about race-ability and where you need the speed to pass than about lap times.

In what conditions do you you guys run drivers like 15-16t and up?
We run a 1/5 mi dirt oval&all but a couple are on 14t,couple on 15. Just curious

What Motor ? and weight Class ?
Front Driver choice is yes by Track size, but also by How much BITE the track has, Momentum and how free your roll n.
EXAMPLE I own a 1/8th mile and a 15 driver is used for alot of classes even 16 an 17, but track has tons of bite and it's MOMENTUM Flatout.

There are a lot of people that like to keep their axle sprocket in the range of 60T to maybe 65T. It's pretty obvious, if the track is bigger and the turns have a bigger radius, you're going to need a higher ratio then a track with tight radius's. Depending on this increase in size, if you want to stay within the range of those axle gears, you may have to change the number of teeth on the driver. Keep in mind that, one tooth on the engine is equivalent to 4 teeth on the axle. Now that 4 teeth equivalent changes as the overall gear ratio goes up and down.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Back