Clutch Grinder

bobby0580

Do they make an actual clutch grinder for go-kart clutches. I'm asking because I have been mostly rebuilding my clutches on my own the last couple of years. I use a lathe and a dremmel dye grinder with a white bullet right now. Grind the floater disc, back plate and front part of the clutch. Works pretty good but I would like to be more consistent to get the most even surface possible. This is on a bully clutch if that makes a difference?

Also what is best to clean parts up with. I been using a parts washer and real fine wire brush. Does that sound right?

VMax used to make one several years ago. That's what I currently use in our shop. There are some others that have been made on and off over the years as well.

Like you, I used to use my lathe and a tool post grinder. Worked GREAT but takes time to set up and tear down each time I wanted to use my lathe for other projects.

I soak everything in acetone when I'm done and wipe clean with a lint-free cloth before assembly.

I have also used my ultra-sonic cleaner with good results.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

On NORAM's, I used a bench belt sander with the backstop in the 90deg angle, sanded and weighed each shoe on a digital gram scale until even. I keep light and heavy shoes in pairs. I used a dremel with tube sanders until clean. I used brake cleaner and then very very lightly lubed the needles and or bushings (do not over lube). This is a poor mans clutch, but for me it was the best. Took some maint, but I loved them.

The machine you are looking for is called a Blanchard Grinder. It has a vertical spindle and a round rotating table.

image2_zpsfaa2b749.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image3_zpsa9d0a38f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back