Clutch ID help, planning on using this for Clone heavy

SPLITSHOT

I purchased this from a buy out. Planning on using it for clone heavy class, 1/8 mile very little banking. I'm thinking it my be a Viper or Surge. The springs are plain metal color, needing help setting it up for my application. Will Bully drivers work?

Attachments

• 20210107_172600.jpg
    20210107_172600.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210107_172537.jpg
    20210107_172537.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210107_172450.jpg
    20210107_172450.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 29
They should .
Spring diameter might help . For setup.
Scroll down too clutch ID three threads down . Might find the info you need .
Addendum: manufacturing a basket that did not take bully drivers in today's market would be business suicide . Jmho

Last edited:
Bully sprockets fit, hopefully its been machined. If it has, the springs set around .380 under the head will get you close depending on air gap and the particular lining style.
Thank you for your help, I removed the spring and measured the length, each end was ground flat, measured .760-.765 rotating spring. Spring coil diameter was .090. measuring spring installed height was .380 at top of clutch spring retainer to top of clutch spring plate, and my air gap measured at .035. do you have any idea on what brand of clutch this my be? so I can order parts when needed, or should I scrap the idea of using it? it's been 30 years since I last raced and here I'am at 60 years old doing it again......

Look at Bullys website, it will show you how to measure the springs adjusted height, give you dimensions of their spring thicknesses and corollate the thickness and installed height to engagement speeds. Total length of spring isnt what is referred to in setting up a clutch.

JPM gave you solid info . Set the springs at .380 under the retainer , and ride .
Any number of folks would be glad to take it off your hands .
Next to a bully it's one of the number 1 Clutch's manufactured today .
It's the baker style .
as explained in this from post #2 (Scroll down too clutch ID three threads down )
Parts for that style are almost universally interchangeable .

Its a viper, surge, goldie locks, gator, etc. All depends how its branded on a parts website, anyone who builds clutches and works on them can get you the right parts as well without guessing as well since there isn't a unified parts codification like there is with the bully or smc brands due to individual branding/labeling.

You want to measure the under side of the spring retainer to the top of the activator plate for the .380 measurement, not the overall height. The viper springs have a decent gap at the end of the coil to put a mic in, might just have to rotate them to do so before tightening them down.

These clutches work very well, just need it set properly.

Its a viper, surge, goldie locks, gator, etc. All depends how its branded on a parts website, anyone who builds clutches and works on them can get you the right parts as well without guessing as well since there isn't a unified parts codification like there is with the bully or smc brands due to individual branding/labeling.

You want to measure the under side of the spring retainer to the top of the activator plate for the .380 measurement, not the overall height. The viper springs have a decent gap at the end of the coil to put a mic in, might just have to rotate them to do so before tightening them down.

These clutches work very well, just need it set properly.
Thank you for your help. What I did was backed off and rotated the the spring so I can get my dial calipers in and measured from the top of the activator plate to the bottom of the spring retainer set the spring heights to .380 as you recommended. roughly what will the RPM engagement be at this setting? Is the air gap of .035 OK or should I tighten it up a little?

Splitshot search clutchbarn.com, Barnes has a great website to purchase anything you need. These clutches are not as sensitive to air gap like a bully, perhaps Michael Curry will see this and chime in. Also note that bully springs will not work properly in this clutch, they will need to be longer, .600 long I believe. We have had very good luck with this style clutch over the past 4 or 5 years.

I purchased this from a buy out. Planning on using it for clone heavy class, 1/8 mile very little banking. I'm thinking it my be a Viper or Surge. The springs are plain metal color, needing help setting it up for my application. Will Bully drivers work?
Cole has given some good advice here.
This is NOT a Bully clutch. While some parts may interchange (basket, drivers, friction discs,) may others will not.
The springs are longer and require a different set-up (ie NONE of Bully's spring height information will work with your clutch.)
Barnes' website has a chart for this style clutch - refer to that for spring height and set-up.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Should be close to 3800, the harder the lining the more it'll take to get going and the more sensitive it'll be. .035 is fine.
Thank you Cole for all the great information, one last question, I was looking at the Barnes chart should I remove the weight from the levers to be able to achieve that 3800 rpm or just leave it alone and make adjustments to the spring heights when track testing?

Back