Clutch Information?????

You got to be kidding. :giggle:
How much do you spend on tires?
This is the same clutch rule since day one.
It was written this way for a reason.

2019 Rule:

b. Sportsman, Junior 1, Junior 2, Senior, and Masters Classes can run any rim centrifugal clutch with a maximum of 9 springs and 6 shoes. Clutch must be used as shipped from the ORIGINAL manufacturer. Mixing of parts between clutch lines or manufactures or removing parts (ie. Grease guard, etc.) is ILLEGAL. No alteration or machining to the clutch allowed. Springs, driver, driver conversion, clutch key, and crankshaft fastener kit are non-tech. Springs MUST remain OEM. Clutch coolers are not allowed. The use of aftermarket coatings is illegal.

c. Clutch drums must be stamped single-piece steel only. Clutch hubs must be single-piece steel, other alloys not allowed.

**************************************************************************************************************
Here is where interpretation of a poorly written rule occurs:

Clutch must be used as shipped from the ORIGINAL manufacturer.

Hilliard machines the ID of their stamped drum, as does Jim Donavon on his MTCC series and Draggin Skin Clutches.

Both are the "Original Manufacturers"

drums must be stamped single-piece steel only

Premier is producing their drum from Billet, not a stamping, as is SMC.

There are at least six other things wrong with the rule as written, but I am too lazy too type them out :cautious:

^ Oh come on, Mike -- you've got nothing better to do today. :LOL:

Give it another week -- we'll get our 2020 rules "clarification"/"update" and then we can all argue about that.

Mike, K.A.R.T. rules don't say anything about must be stamped drum. What is odd though is that the K.A.R.T. tech official specifically checked our noram clutch after winning a road race and verified that the drum was 'stamped' not machined. I don't get it.

Brian,

Busy building those fancy anodized disk clutches everyone loves 🤣

Waiting patiently for the new ruleset.

I hope the 206 program doesn't go to disk clutches this year, we are not staffed enough to handle the sales burst that would create.

Mike

Ive raced at a track that has an open clutch rule for the 206. One wins as just as much as the other.
Yes the drum clutch keeps the cost down and if briggs wants to keep everything on the same level then leave it alone.
Jmo

Brian,

Busy building those fancy anodized disk clutches everyone loves 🤣

Waiting patiently for the new ruleset.

I hope the 206 program doesn't go to disk clutches this year, we are not staffed enough to handle the sales burst that would create.

Mike
That's right - it would benefit you long term, but short term would mean forgoing sleep or food until June. :)

Brian,

Actually I believe it would only benefit me short term.

I have said time and time again, that the DRUM clutch is the correct choice for the LO-206 platform.

If the LO-206 program gets corrupted, then I predict that within three years it will be near death and Sprint 4-Cycle Karting will be in the horrible state it was in before the clone revived it, allowing the LO-206 Program to gain momentum.

I have also said time and time again, that if they did allow DISK CLUTCHES, that I would be able to retire (again ;) ) in three years, but it wouldn't matter as I would be quite well set, and my favorite type of karting would be dead again and I can go enjoy other aspects of life instead of being a slave to my workbench and the UPS deadline.

What needs to happen is the RULESET that everyone want to use needs to be stable, needs to be properly written by the current powers that be, and properly interpreted by their representatives in the field.

Is that too much too ask ??

Mike

Brian,

Actually I believe it would only benefit me short term.

I have said time and time again, that the DRUM clutch is the correct choice for the LO-206 platform.

If the LO-206 program gets corrupted, then I predict that within three years it will be near death and Sprint 4-Cycle Karting will be in the horrible state it was in before the clone revived it, allowing the LO-206 Program to gain momentum.

I have also said time and time again, that if they did allow DISK CLUTCHES, that I would be able to retire (again ;) ) in three years, but it wouldn't matter as I would be quite well set, and my favorite type of karting would be dead again and I can go enjoy other aspects of life instead of being a slave to my workbench and the UPS deadline.

What needs to happen is the RULESET that everyone want to use needs to be stable, needs to be properly written by the current powers that be, and properly interpreted by their representatives in the field.

Is that too much too ask ??

Mike
Spot on Mike !!

Disc clutches are very nice and it seems the manufactures are in constant R&D mode to come up with something to make their clutch better and more attractive to the racer. That's great. competition is the mother of invention.
However, putting a disc clutch on a 3.5 HP kid kart 206 motor makes no sense.
In fact i don't think it makes sense putting one on a 206 with a green, gold or any other 206 motor.
Briggs used to publish the results of their dyno testing in the booklet that came with the motor and they show the HP of a Sr. 206 at less than 8 horsepower.
1578515818729.png

The Max Torque clutch is supplied by Briggs for the Kid Kart engine and must be used.

32. Clutch a. Novice class must run the supplied Max-Torque clutch, part #555727. No alteration to the clutch is allowed, except springs, driver (when applicable), driver conversion and clutch key are non-tech.

This is not true for all other 206 classes where you may use a variety of clutch brands.

Last edited:
I just found out that someone made a fake post on one of the 206 facebook pages with some ridiculous changes in the clutch rules. It looked very much like an official statement from Briggs including signatures.
It was taken down very quickly but some people believed it and it caused quite a stir.
Probably someone with an AX to grind for some reason.

Back