clutch questions

fatchance209

I run a Noram GE clutch, trying to figure out where to set the shoes for engagement. I run a predator engine in the clone heavy class, also what springs to use. track. We run a 1/10 dirt on a clay surface. Also the last race I was sitting on the starting grid with engine running waiting to take the track idling about 2000 rpm and the clutch would try to engage and stall the engine, would start right back up but do the same thing, running green springs any ideas?

I run a Noram GE clutch, trying to figure out where to set the shoes for engagement. I run a predator engine in the clone heavy class, also what springs to use. track. We run a 1/10 dirt on a clay surface. Also the last race I was sitting on the starting grid with engine running waiting to take the track idling about 2000 rpm and the clutch would try to engage and stall the engine, would start right back up but do the same thing, running green springs any ideas?

With green springs it shouldn't even be thinking of engaging at idle.
The bronze bushing is desperately in need of cleaning and lubrication. It is seizing and that is what you are thinking is the clutch engaging.

For your Predator, (unless it's really built up,) I would think you would want the heavy (200gm) shoes and red springs for an engagement/stall of around 3400 rpm.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Just about any Hi-temp wheel bearing grease will work. I use a couple of different greases when we rebuild clutches here in the shop.
One is by Lucas, the other by Synergyn. I'm sure there are many quality greases you can use.
The key is to use very little and to keep the bushing CLEAN.
I polish the bushing with 80g sand paper, followed by 400g sandpaper, then some 1000g steel wool. It will shine up like your wedding band. Then apply a thin film of grease (enough to give the bushing some color but no excess!)
Don't be afraid to repeat this procedure often. Every race day will not hurt!

Back