Clutches???

jacobsdad

OK, at the start of this season we picked up a rebuilt Vortex black 2 disc clutch to run on my sons kart in Jr. 1 restricted class. I have no complaints about how the clutch worked. After the first night using it, I followed the instructions I downloaded for servicing the vortex clutch, but I could not get the screws out to disassemble it! I broke 2 wrenches trying to turn the screws, so I gave up before I wrecked the screws and for this season I have cleaned the clutch with brake cleaner. I have tried a few other times to take it apart, but no luck.
About the third race of the season I was cleaning it I noticed the drive hub is cracked where the keyway would be on the crank shaft. We had no choice but to keep running with it. It doesn't seem to be causing a problem.
The past 3 weeks there are a couple of new drivers at the track that are very rough drivers! A couple of times my son got tangled in a wreck with them, and his kart stalls and dies. I am starting to wonder if maybe the clutch is not dis-engaging as fast as it should, and when he gets stopped quick it is killing the engine.
So, now I am in the market for a different clutch. If I can I am going to replace it for the rest of the season and send this one off to be rebuilt during the winter so I have a spare in case I need one. Also, if my daughter heals up from her latest injury I will have a better clutch for her kart. This leads me to a question.
What is the difference between the Bully 2 disk clutches and the Black vortex 2 disk clutches? We have used a Bully single disk clutch and really liked it, and we used the vortex black and really liked it too. Are there any real big advantages to one over the other?

we always run bully we are a great fan of there rebuilds and customer service. as for the brake clean we never use it on our clutches acetone only and our clutches work great week in and week out.

Yeah the brake cleaner wasn't my first choice to use. The Vortex website said not to use any chemical cleaner on the clutch, to use a wire brush, but when I couldn't get it apart for lack of anything else I sprayed the brake cleaner in it.
For the acetone everyone uses to clean their clutches, your talking about the stuff you get at the hardware store in the paint isle?

I run two animal motors, one with a 2 disk Bully and one with a two disk Vortex. I see 0 difference between the two. I also have done near 0 maintenance to the Vortex, their design is simple and almost maintenance free. I think in 4 years of running it all I've had to do was change the clutch disks once. Reminds me, it's time to get the Bully checked

That is one thing I really liked about the vortex. It was very simple to adjust to the RPM I wanted, and if I could get the screws out it would be very easy to clean and service. It is still a good working clutch, except for the cracked drive hub. For a little under $100 I can get a new drive hub and probably drill out the screws, but I want another clutch as a spare in case things don't go well when I try to get it apart.
I also have been looking at the Martinbuilt touch clutches. Can anyone tell me, what kind of driver do they use? The Bully and vortex I believe take the same driver, if I do get a different clutch I want to make sure I can use the drivers I have now.

That is one thing I really liked about the vortex. It was very simple to adjust to the RPM I wanted, and if I could get the screws out it would be very easy to clean and service. It is still a good working clutch, except for the cracked drive hub. For a little under $100 I can get a new drive hub and probably drill out the screws, but I want another clutch as a spare in case things don't go well when I try to get it apart.
I also have been looking at the Martinbuilt touch clutches. Can anyone tell me, what kind of driver do they use? The Bully and vortex I believe take the same driver, if I do get a different clutch I want to make sure I can use the drivers I have now.

David's clutch uses the same drivers that you already have.
And if you don't choose to send your clutches to me to have rebuilt, I would have no reservation about sending them to David (Martinbuilt.) Stand-up guy and good with clutches.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back