coil gap

T-roy

I thought coil gap was supposed to be 0.030" but I was reading on here last night about jetting and someone suggested more than that. Like 0.085 or something like that. Will more gap create a hotter spark or what is the benefit of increasing coil gap. Talking about clone/predator with ARC flywheel.

Won't burn your coil up.
Due too the stronger magnets in the ARC flywheel .

Last edited:
Won't burn your coil up.
I don't think it will. If anything it wont fire. I found a post here that shows a graph of the ign. timing retarding at high rpm with a closer gap. Opened the gap up and it stayed at the set timing. So I guess I will try some different things and see.

We’ve always ran ours at .080-.085, plus the further from the magnet the less resistance.

Crank flex is a big issue with these engines.
.085" sounds right to me.
I'd be interested in seeing the timing retard chart if someone has the link.
I did this with the old flathead coils/flywheels 20+ years ago, and have been tempted to repeat this testing (when I can find time) with the LO206 (PVL) ignition.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I don't know how to post a link, but I will try. May not have been a clone but mounted the same way. I think. HMMM

Its confusing in the video and paperwork on installing the flywheel. Should say "Set gap to 0.065" to 0.085" (or whatever). But don't install the coil with less than 0.30"." Or maybe I misunderstood which is possible.

There was a post I saw on here a while back that said to start with the air gap out as far as possible to start . Then bring the gap down little by little until the engine starts easily . I set mine at about .060 and have never had an issue with burning up a coil . My buddy had one , that was set at about .075 or more , but still fried coils like crazy , so the flywheel got pulled , and haven't had any problems since .

Back