compression relief

briggs206

hi guys. I recently installed a dyno cam in my 5hp and later found out that it has a built in compression relief. I called dyno cams and they said it wont rob any hp. everyone else seems to say it makes a huge difference removing this. in my book anything that reduces compression has potential to kill hp. what are your suggestions?

If it's to be run in a stock class, it MUST have 30* of EZ spin (= compression release.)

If it's for backyard racing, you can do without the compression release. For that matter, you can be more aggressive on the cam overall.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

this is just for fun racing with guys from work. its an open class because we have several clones that we need to keep up with. so is it advantageous to remove the compression release? iv heard a lot of people say it helps power considerably.

Dyno cams has many cam profiles with out the compression release. Like Brian stated a different cam with out the release and with more lift than a stock profile will help power even more considerably.
The disadvantage to not using the compression release is that you will end up needing to use an electric starter instead of the pull rope.

Back