Converting Lo206 to Junior 1

harley1720

Our track only has a rookie and sportsmen class for the 206,so we will be needing to convert our 206 to junior 1 next year. My question is along with a new cam,rod and piston when we change the ignition do we also have to change the flywheel? I will say anyone thinking of going to the 206 do it!!! Very good option My soon has been doing very well with this motor great power!!

Same flywheel is what you want to use. It's the only flywheel that works with PVL coil and is required per rules.

I know this is not answering your question but perhaps you could get with some of your future competitors and lobby for the 206 to be used in the new class. Especially if there has been proven success in the present LO206 classes. Realistically it is silly to spend additional cash to fully blueprint a motor and then choke the heck out of it with a small plate (or long slide). I have long held the opinion that the LO206 is the best alternative for all kids classes.

I guess the first question is: Are you running the Briggs Rules exclusively? If so, You will have a difficult time making those internal changes to go to Junior 1 without sending it back to Briggs to have it resealed. If you have not already, you might want to sign up at the Briggs forum and get your questions answered directly from Briggs. http://briggsracing.websitetoolbox.com/

If this is a LO206 you do not change cam,piston and rod, you will only change the coil and the slide. If you change internal parts it is no longer a LO206 but an animal.

Money wise I would look for a decent used motor, your looking $800+ to have an animal built. Your also looking at new valves, springs and head work, plus reworking the carb.
Better yet talk the track into going with the 206 for all classes.

At the beginning of the season we ran the Junior 1 CLUB-.490 Per sanctioning body/club regulations LO206 with carb lock, RLV pipe (#5507), ‘GREEN’ Slide (#555740).

The Jr 1 on the road course were faster in speed and time, on the track than the Senior Four running the Briggs & Stratton 206 Senior Per sanctioning body/club regulations LO206 RLV pipe (#5507), Stock Slide (#555590)

It was decided that the Jr 1 will drop down to the Junior 1 LEGACY Club - .440 Per sanctioning body/club regulations LO206 with carb lock, RLV pipe (#5507), ‘Red’ Slide (#555733) to keep their speeds down.

I understand you dont make the rules so dont kill me but.....seems odd they will let you run a LO206 Jr., then make you buy or build an expensive Animal, then if you stay racing there long enough go buy another LO206???? Why dont they just restrict the LO the way they will restrict the Animal?

I understand you dont make the rules so dont kill me but.....seems odd they will let you run a LO206 Jr., then make you buy or build an expensive Animal, then if you stay racing there long enough go buy another LO206???? Why dont they just restrict the LO the way they will restrict the Animal?

They also have adult medium so it's your choice at that point. They just allow the sealed motor in the rookie and sportsman class after that it's all alky classes.

They also have adult medium so it's your choice at that point. They just allow the sealed motor in the rookie and sportsman class after that it's all alky classes.

Ok got ya, but like I said, weigh your options, talk to some builders and see what it will cost to build your 206 into a meth animal verse, buying a slightly used or rebuilt one. Issue with meth is your looking at rebuilds every 8-10 races and that's keeping the motor super clean (oiling the filter, changing oil every 20-30 laps).

I generally sell fresh used animals for $850. To take your LO206 and blueprint it to animal class with parts and labor, you're looking $600+. Just something to consider. An advantage of building up what you've got is that you know the entire history of the engine, run time, use, care, etc.
Chip, couldn't agree with you more on your assessment of the LO206 for juniors. While I agree that the LO206 is a great package, (for all ages), I think it can be a logical step to the blueprinted classes though too.
Also, rebuilds (especially on a small plate class) should be no where near 8-10 races. 20-22 would be more likely for your small plate class. You're not turning enough rpm to hurt valve train parts, and cylinder and ring wear (leakdown) is minimal on the animals compared to the flatheads.
Keeping oil and air filters clean are imperative no matter what engine type you are using. Using a good quality oil can cut down on oil change intervals, but remember, you're only oil filter in these engines is the magnetic drain plug. Change it often regardless of engine type in my opinion.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I generally sell fresh used animals for $850. To take your LO206 and blueprint it to animal class with parts and labor, you're looking $600+. Just something to consider. An advantage of building up what you've got is that you know the entire history of the engine, run time, use, care, etc.
Chip, couldn't agree with you more on your assessment of the LO206 for juniors. While I agree that the LO206 is a great package, (for all ages), I think it can be a logical step to the blueprinted classes though too.
Also, rebuilds (especially on a small plate class) should be no where near 8-10 races. 20-22 would be more likely for your small plate class. You're not turning enough rpm to hurt valve train parts, and cylinder and ring wear (leakdown) is minimal on the animals compared to the flatheads.
Keeping oil and air filters clean are imperative no matter what engine type you are using. Using a good quality oil can cut down on oil change intervals, but remember, you're only oil filter in these engines is the magnetic drain plug. Change it often regardless of engine type in my opinion.

-----That is exactly why we want to blueprint out motor, its our motor and we take good care of it like you said we change the filter after every race and oil every week! We have ran our junior2 motor for 5 seasons buying it brand new rebuilding it every year and its a great motor just like to know what you have. I think that the kids should move up in classes as well thanks for your input it greatly appreciated!!

Just put a Green slide and a Green coil in it and be done with it.
You'll be faster than a Jr. 1 and save a ton of money.

Back