Coyote Wide-Track CIK Conversion?

HittingTheApex

Hello, fellow karters! I have a Coyote Wide-Track CIK chassis that I am thinking of converting. My son is currently twelve, and wants to get into kart racing, but he thinks the LO206 class is boring after trying a Rotax MAX kart. What I am asking is, would I be able to swap my current LO206 engine to a Shifter Kart engine and gearbox, or some other engine, and have it be legal to race in the class. Thanks!

At our local track they don't have a class for 12 year old shifter karters. I think the reasons are obvious. Personally, I would never put one of my grandkids in a 40 HP go kart.
At the local track we have about 20 twelve year olds in the 206 gold slide class. It is very exciting to watch.
If he is already so good he wins every race i would look for another class for him. There are various other engines with more power potential than a 206 that you could put on a Coyote but they also use restrictor plates to limit their power.
However, converting a Widetrack to a shifter kart would be a huge project and probably would not be competitive.

Has he done more than practice sessions? There's a world of difference between running by yourself and racing in a pack. btw, sooo glad I sold my Rota$.

The Coyote is not meant for that kind of HP, it doesn't have the shifting setup, radiator mount tabs, it doesn't have front brakes and marginal rear brakes. 125 shifters are no joke. If there are 80 cc shifters, maybe. But it would still be a lot of work.
I agree with the folks above. Learn to race in the 206 or similar class. Easier to drive and learn the proper techniques, rather then just hanging on in a shifter, or even a Tag Jr of some sort. AND WAY easier and cheaper for Mom and Dad!! If in a couple years he's as good as he thinks he is, get a KA100. That's assuming there's a class for them in your area. Nice HP, easy-ish to take care of, and it's the logical step toward a shifter.
Be warned...Tag's and shifters are NOT inexpensive or easy to take care of!! They eat stuff and require a lot of attention.
Have fun either way,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

You could easily do a Jr Rotax with the Coyote chassis. A shifter would be a major undertaking to be competitive and reliable.

My experience - get your son started in the 206 and have him learn the basics of being smooth and understanding momentum. Once he has mastered that, move him to a faster engine package. I started my son at 4 with a restricted Comer kid kart motor, as he showed progress I would open up the throttle for him.

Biggest thing is to have fun and enjoy the time together.

Back