Crank End Play ?

racer47

What is a good measurement to start with crank end play? My new motor that I assembled doesn't seem to have any. I put it together and broke it in thinking that after it got warm and ran in, that maybe the crank bearings would seat into their pockets and it would show some end play. I checked it and still cant move the crank side to side at all. When I bolted on the side cover, it sat flat before I put the bolts in so I thought I would be in good shape. If I truly have 0.000 end play, what is the best way to achieve the correct amount?

Thanks

edit: Also, I have 34* of timing in the motor. Is that a good starting place or is that too much?

I am trying to move the crank at this point and it doesn't move side to side. I am gently wedging a screwdriver between the block and the flywheel feeling for movement. There just isn't any there.

Some say "loose is fast", meaning a loose, sloppy motor can spin easier. There is a little truth to this. A little. I measure endplay with dial indicator. Put it on the clutch end and "tap" it east and west and measure. .012 to .017 would be an acceptable amount to have. (opinions vary of course) .000 is too tight in my opinion. Some say to add side cover gaskets to get clearance. This will work and is the easiest fix but not the most stable. Make sure the bearings are set completely on the crankshaft and that they set completely in the block and side cover. The best and most "proper" way is to machine the amount needed into the crank so the bearing will set deeper. Maybe try another bearing. Buy two of the good bearings and replace the cheap China ones you have (I assume). you may get the clearance you desire and better performance from the bearings (hint, hint) and more reliability to boot. Good luck.

I like .003 to .008 with the dial indicator, loose is a little faster but if the cam bearing surface is worn it will be to loose and rattle at .010 t0 .020 end play.

Thanks for the replies. I have another gasket that I can add, but its 0.020 and from what you guys are saying.. ... that will be too much. Im sure I will get some crush in the gasket tho? Any idea how much? Maybe I will try to tap the bearing race lightly to see if it will seat into its pocket a little more on the side cover.

Back