Crank movement

animal22

The crankshaft on my animal moves up and a little bit on the flywheel side was wondering if this is normal or possibly bad bearing. Thanks for any help

Possibly clearance between the bearing and the block. Is this an old motor, Gen 1 or 2? Measure the play with a dial indicator and post results, under .005 is ok.

.005" would be a ton!
Also be sure to check the crankshaft journal where the bearing rides. Some of the guys who built flatheads for years are used to clearancing the crank for a slip fit of the crank bearings. If it's been clearanced too much, you're going to need a crank. First, simply replace the bearing with a new one and see if that helps it. If it's not the crank or the bearing, you're going to need to replace the block.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If it's an older generation block make sure the block isn't cracked.
I have never seen a gen 4 or 5 block crack in the bearing pocket area.
If it has been leaking oil in that area it's a sure sign of a crack.
You can usually see it if it's cracked.
Try this.
Spray some WD 40 on the block and then blow it off with air. Sprinkle some talcum powder on the suspected area and then turn the block over and tap it on the bench.
All the powder except what's held in the crack by the WD 40 will fall off.

I gotta' say Jimbo, that's one neat shadetree variation on a dye penetrant test. We're definitely gonna' remember that trick.

Back