CRF450 vs GX390

I run CRF450 it's 02 model . The engine oil is less than QT. Same for the trans It also has very small oil filter. For me I change oil very race. And do the trans and filter very other race. For a engine that carries less than 800mil's of oil. I like the piece of mind running clean oil. There a lot of demanded for the oil to cool/lube the engine for less than a QT.

I'm looking at a 2007 CRF450 owner's manual and it says 15 hours on the oil, piston and rings. Most user recommendations I see are for more frequent oil changes and longer intervals on the top end. Either way, using a CRF450 for competition purposes is going to incur a demanding maintenance schedule.[/QUOTE] How so Shelby on the Maintenance. There's way more time spent prep'ing tires than working on CRF450 . I do also like the KTM both the CRF and KTM are compacted power plants. I also like that there a whole bunch of different engines in the UAS class.

A stock 450 with the tranny will put out in the neighborhood of 60 horse all day long at 10,000rpm. Honda recommends 10 hours between oil changes and 40 hours between rings and freshen. Doing a little math. We race maybe 20 min a night. Thats 3 races an hour so about 30 races per oil change. And 120 races between rebuilds. In most UAS division that would be 10 years of run time or more.

all ill say about this post is i would not recommend any of you 450 racers trying to run your motors any were near this long. good luck to everyone

Im a 390 guy. Love tinkering with those things.However... If the 450 is truly 60+ horsepower and can turn 10,000 easily and reliably, by all means thats the way to go. A 390 must make way over 2 horsepower per cubic inch to make 60hp. Not an easy (or cheap)task. At the same weight, a 450 would be a way better choice and much more reliable than a 390 trying to churn out 60hp. Just my opinion of course. Makes me want a 450 to mess with!

Back