Cross for super heavy driver ?

94sdad

With a much larger than average driver would more cross help or hurt the handling. I can only find numbers for heavy class not really super heavy.My driver is 6'6 and about 280 pounds. We roll across the scales around 445lbs. My question is will higher cross help the handling? We normally run a 1/4 mile banked track. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

I understand their are a lot of variables but as a general rule does more cross help a larger driver or is less cross better because of the weight. Dumplin valley most of the time. Run a Eclipse Sniper (Trick Redemption).

Little bite of experience I've seen with this, kart and driver was over 500 lb real LOW cross helped more.

On a Redemption It's hard to say because only HIGH cross will make it go Better.

Just edited this post added a , I did not mean a redemption with a BIG guy driving, only meant kart and driver together was over 500lb, that was actually a Millenium Chassis.

Based on Redemption the cross should be 65-69% we have been running a little lower and it was a little loose into corner so wondering if more would help or hurt. Reading on here high cross made them fast on Redemption.

really depends on what the chassis is made of also. a 1 1/8 thin walled chassis will really flex more with a larger driver in it compared to a 1 1/4 thick walled tube chassis,which you could get by with more cross in it. Just what I've run across over 30+ yrs of doing this. Bobby Garland Jr.

Based on Redemption the cross should be 65-69% we have been running a little lower and it was a little loose into corner so wondering if more would help or hurt. Reading on here high cross made them fast on Redemption.

Based on this info I would try pulling more cross first, but garlandkart11 has a good point, by chance you don't have the smaller tubed chassis do you.

I am a bigger guy running a redemption. Not 280 but 230 and ive found that the kart works well around 63% cross. With being alot bigger guy you transfer more weight to the RF then a smaller guy so like LOOKSLIKEFUN said keep the seat as low as you can to minimize the VCG

Just wait, there is a guy with a spreadsheet that can help you.
Sometimes a loose feeling kart can be on the tight side snapping loose. Try adding cross and see if it gets worse or better.

Thanks everyone. We are going to experiment with some higher cross just to see what happens. We never have a class to run with around here anyway. We run a animal and never have any other super heavy guys running them here. They usually put us with whatever class is heaviest and let us run for fun. Last time we ran with 365 flatheads just to get on the track. Most of the time we give up almost 50 pounds and run with clone 400s.

Nose-47.0
Left-56.0
Left front spindle all the way up
Right front spindle all the way down
Right front camber-3 1/2
Left front camber- 0.0
Right front castor- 11.0 pos.
Left front castor-7.0 pos.
Front stagger 1 1/2
Rear stagger 1 1/4

Tires maxxis pinks rights
3/4 ounce lambert blue
3/4 ounce mafia original
Mixed together in a glass container which combined =1 1/2 ounces
Take valve stem out squeeze or push down on tire place a small tube on a small funnel
Then with valve stem to the bottom place funnel on valve stem and pour mix into funnel while relaxing tire
Put valve stem in being careful not to move tire not to splash onto side walls put 10 psi air
Carefully carry to roller and let roll 24 hours do not put anything on the outside

Left rear- straight up nothing on inside

Left front - 1/2 ounce lambert blue and 1/2 mafia original
Roll all tires together at the same time.
Before the bashing starts:
I have been out of karting for a few years. Why?
I am in late model stock cars now, but I have a trophy case full of trophies from karting
And I have been on a lot of different chassis and I can say this though experience.
And have outrun big names in karting on old chassis.
I have come to learn they are all a piece of metal and they all will take the same numbers
Now kart manufactors will not like this post as well as tire guru's that want your money
The only reason I am giving out this secret is I am no longer in this sport after a lot hanging around all the right people. Here is my email just in case someone wants to see if I know what I am talking about.
Wayneshell4@gmail.com

Back