cross

Racer-71

Is the cross numbers suggested by the kart manufacturer, are the numbers specific for a chassis design make and model, or are they specific for a particular track or type of track, just trying to understand cross a little better
thanks

Start with the recommended number for your chassis. Low bite track start at the lower end, high bite the upper end. These are just starting numbers, not uncommon to run outside the suggested range. Hope this helps.

Like wynn said, low bite will take lower cross and high bite will take higher cross. Some will say to never adjust cross, and to just adjust your tires based on track conditions.

For me and the way that I do tires, I have found that when the track is good I can add about a 1/2 washer of cross, and when the track is garbage I can go down about 1 or 1/2 washers of cross. And of course I adjust my tires and prep for how the track is.

This is just how I adjust setup at the track though

Cross numbers given by a manufactor are usually base numbers to work off for a piticular frame. I hope this helps. Don't be afraid to go outside the box of what's recommended for a chassis though. Learning what a chassis wants is half the fun for me since I don't get to drive any more!

Thanks to all I appreciatte the help. And advice .I have a youg driver who is about ready to give up . I am trying to help him have a better handeling kart . We where running 58 cross 58 left and 47 front with a lot of push and was advised by the manufacturer to start at 52 cross. I am learning myself .but I don't won't my boys to give up over my inexperince. And I really didn't know what to tell them to expect going from 58 to 52
Any and all advice appreciated
Once again thanks

Is he running a champ kart or flat kart?
I'm definitely no expert, but even 58 cross sounds really low for a late model flat kart. Of course your manufacturer should know best for your chassis.

It really makes a big difference what kind of kart you are driving. Is it a champ kart? Is it an LTO? Late model or older kart? Who is the manufacturer? I have this spreadsheet for doing weight percentages and your numbers are really different from most that I see. I'll bet if you listed all your numbers you would get some really good advice.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Thanks to all I appreciatte the help. And advice .I have a youg driver who is about ready to give up . I am trying to help him have a better handeling kart . We where running 58 cross 58 left and 47 front with a lot of push and was advised by the manufacturer to start at 52 cross. I am learning myself .but I don't won't my boys to give up over my inexperince. And I really didn't know what to tell them to expect going from 58 to 52
Any and all advice appreciated
Once again thanks

Post the brand/model of chassis you are running along with all your setup numbers. Along with the class, engine and tires that you run.

Plenty of folks here that can get you pointed in the right direction.

2013 ultramax phase x champ kart on burris 55 7psi left side 8 psi right side, we where running 47 front and 58 left and 58 cross, , lh camber at +.5 and rh camber-3.0 , class is jr champ 365 lb with a big pipe unrestricted clone running 16. 63 gearing on a 1/4 mile dirt track caster at 9 and 12, driver is 13 year old first year in full sixe champ. Was suggested by manufacturer , to run 52 or 53 cross, with everything else the same . I am not questioning there advice just trying to understand what effect this will have on kart , so I can inform my driver what to expect , and so I better understand the change so I can make better adjustments in the future , thats why I ask if cross was determined by kart design or track conditions
Once again thanks for your help
any and all advice appreciatted
randall

Kart will be much more free into, through, and out of corner.

I ask in general, why do many people run same air pressure in right side and maybe a pound less on other side? Each tire is doing something different why would you do this. Could it be possible to run air pressure different in each tire. I mean the tire is the only spring we have.

I ask in general, why do many people run same air pressure in right side and maybe a pound less on other side? Each tire is doing something different why would you do this. Could it be possible to run air pressure different in each tire. I mean the tire is the only spring we have.
I've often wondered that myself. I would think the dynamic loading of the right rear is much greater than the other three tires.

Do what the manufacturer says to do. Exactly what they say to do. And the dynamic loading of the RR Will always be more than the other three tires.

2013 ultramax phase x champ kart on burris 55 7psi left side 8 psi right side, we where running 47 front and 58 left and 58 cross, , lh camber at +.5 and rh camber-3.0 , class is jr champ 365 lb with a big pipe unrestricted clone running 16. 63 gearing on a 1/4 mile dirt track caster at 9 and 12, driver is 13 year old first year in full sixe champ. Was suggested by manufacturer , to run 52 or 53 cross, with everything else the same . I am not questioning there advice just trying to understand what effect this will have on kart , so I can inform my driver what to expect , and so I better understand the change so I can make better adjustments in the future , thats why I ask if cross was determined by kart design or track conditions
Once again thanks for your help
any and all advice appreciatted

randall

Your running at dumplin valley soften the 55's to somewhere around 52-60 on the duro, then go get Jerry Welch and ask his advice, my guess is he'll say lower cross and LS%

i suppose it has to do with base set up. a lot of chassis are soft enough to be consistent across on different tracks and conditions, and maybe those air pressures just work for those chassis. then when the go to make a change on the kart, they need something more than what air pressure can give them. moving spindle washers being the most common adjustment.

ive always preferred a chassis that is more sensitive. my favorite karts will be affected by .5 lbs of air change in 1 tire. because of this, you have to be more aware of air pressure. my base air is usually LF:5, RF:7, LR:6, RR:8 and then adjust accordingly.

From watching some videos on the track, it looks like a low banking to about medium bite track. Champ karts will carry a lot of weight to the right rear. Is the kart tight, loose, tires working to hard, not enough? I know you said the kart doesn't handle well and with being younger sometimes it can hurt from knowing exactly whats going on with the kart. I had that problem when I was younger in champ karts. Cross in a champ is basically what these guys have said. The lower cross will be better for a low bite track and the higher cross will be better on high bite, most of the time.

If I were you for that track I would go with where you're at or maybe even up to 60-62 cross. But there's also other things you can change. I'd try some numbers like 60 cross, 57-58 left, 46 front, lf camber +.75, rf camber -3.5, rear stagger 1 3/8- 1 1/2, front stagger 1 3/8, right side air 8-9, left side air 6-7. These numbers may not be perfect but should help.

If you have anymore questions just let us know.

thanks everyone , i should have mentioned i am racing ashway , any suggestions on air pressure
thanks again
I should first say that anything I say is theoretical.

Quarter-mile is a pretty big track, are you sure about that? The reason I ask is, I have a spreadsheet to calculate theoretical stagger. I have a CAD/CAM program for laying out tracks. With a track that big, there's no way for me to estimate the radius of the turns at your track, but the track I have laid out has turns whose radius's are 119 feet. My spreadsheet says with that radius, and a 34 inch RR tire, the stagger should be 3/4".
At most high schools they have a football field, and around that field is a running track, which is almost always a quarter-mile in length. Is your kart track that big?

It seems to me, just thinking theoretically, a trade-off in stagger needs to be reached. The track I have laid out has 285 foot straights. With a theoretical stagger of 3/4", you'll be dragging that inside left tire a long ways. Just a guess, but you might try a stagger in-between 3/4" and zero.

yeh i havent measured it myself , but it is advertised as a1/4 mile track and yeh i beleive you could put a football feild inside it . but yes i see what you are saying about the rear stagger , that would be something to consider

my base air is usually LF:5, RF:7, LR:6, RR:8 and then adjust accordingly.

With running on dirt, you're setting your base air up for a kart with a push and a bad one. JMO

then when the go to make a change on the kart, they need something more than what air pressure can give them. moving spindle washers being the most common adjustment.

Most common adjusment with baseline numbers is to change tires.

Back