cross

Baseline numbers are just that.....a beginning. Every driver is different, every track and dirt is different, the way we each prep our tires is different. My numbers are nowhere near what manufacturers baseline #'s are.

Run at least an inch of stagger maybe as much as 1 1/4 there. I would start on 1 1/8 and see which way I needed to go from there. It is less than a 1/4 mile track in size. Hope this helps.

Al, the plural for radius is radii, just sayin!
interesting; my computer has four word processors on it. This one on Bob's, Microsoft Word, Microsoft works and OpenOffice. All four indicate that my spelling is correct. Works even says that radii and radiuses are correct. Just saying. lol. In Any Case, is always comforting to know that the spell police are on the job.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

The reason the Ultramax said to lower cross is for the lower bite track as others have said. When you start getting your cross close to your left side the kart gets in a dead zone and doesn't make speed or just gets tight. The farther your get away from your left side; either up or down it free's the kart up. As said down on cross for lower bite tracks, and up for higher bite tracks.

You should tell your driver that the kart should feel like it wants to roll through the corner now, and to take it easy for a few laps to get a feel for it before he really runs it in hard. But, I'd do as XXX said and get with Jerry Welch. He's a dealer for Ultramax and is VERY knowledgable on every aspect of setting up karts. He can get you in the right direction for anything Ultramax for those tracks in that area.

Nose-47.0
Left-56.0
Left front spindle all the way up
Right front spindle all the way down
Right front camber-3 1/2
Left front camber- 0.0
Right front castor- 11.0 pos.
Left front castor-7.0 pos.
Front stagger 1 1/2
Rear stagger 1 1/4

Tires maxxis pinks rights
3/4 ounce lambert blue
3/4 ounce mafia original
Mixed together in a glass container which combined =1 1/2 ounces
Take valve stem out squeeze or push down on tire place a small tube on a small funnel
Then with valve stem to the bottom place funnel on valve stem and pour mix into funnel while relaxing tire
Put valve stem in being careful not to move tire not to splash onto side walls put 10 psi air
Carefully carry to roller and let roll 24 hours do not put anything on the outside

Left rear- straight up nothing on inside

Left front - 1/2 ounce lambert blue and 1/2 mafia original
Roll all tires together at the same time.
Before the bashing starts:
I have been out of karting for a few years. Why?
I am in late model stock cars now, but I have a trophy case full of trophies from karting
And I have been on a lot of different chassis and I can say this though experience.
And have outrun big names in karting on old chassis.
I have come to learn they are all a piece of metal and they all will take the same numbers
Now kart manufactors will not like this post as well as tire guru's that want your money
The only reason I am giving out this secret is I am no longer in this sport after a lot hanging around all the right people. Here is my email just in case someone wants to see if I know what I am talking about.
Wayneshell4@gmail.com

He posted that same thing in about 15 different threads, then proceeded to agrue with everyone who disagreed with his suggestion, saying that he's gonna make alot of the "big names" and "top dawgs" mad at him for telling people those secrets. If he knew that much about karts, he would know those numbers, tire prep suggestions and everything else simply won't cover every chassis or any track like he says it will. Maybe in 1980 it would've been in the ballpark, but not with todays chassis and tire programs

Wormm, take ABR69's advice and get your left % and cross % separated a little, with left and cross that close to the same or the same you are asking for a very tight chassis with the newer karts like the phaze. You got some great advice here, best I have seen so far was the one saying to get in touch with Jerry Welch, Tennessee tracks are Jerry's home tracks and where the majority of his customers race, he can help you with tires also, but can definitely help you with the Phaze X since he's an ultramax dealer. That would be my first phone call or stop if I were in your shoes. This time of the year, especially with Burris 55's, you will need some tires that are worked internally and externally to be fast, one prep I have had great results with for cold weather racing and Burris tires is Liquid Speed LS3, it works great and helps keep the tires firing off when you need them to at the start and after cautions. It can be used inside and out both, but best results for me were using 2-5oz internally and wipe 3-6 coats externally early in the week, then mid-week wipe 3-4 coats of LS2 also. The LS2 is a great base prep during the week on medium bite tracks, while the LS3 is good for cold weather racing, when moisture is in/on the track and dry slick tracks or low bite.

The reason the Ultramax said to lower cross is for the lower bite track as others have said. When you start getting your cross close to your left side the kart gets in a dead zone and doesn't make speed or just gets tight. The farther your get away from your left side; either up or down it free's the kart up. As said down on cross for lower bite tracks, and up for higher bite tracks.

You should tell your driver that the kart should feel like it wants to roll through the corner now, and to take it easy for a few laps to get a feel for it before he really runs it in hard. But, I'd do as XXX said and get with Jerry Welch. He's a dealer for Ultramax and is VERY knowledgable on every aspect of setting up karts. He can get you in the right direction for anything Ultramax for those tracks in that area.

I'd have to Disagree slightly as far as the Dead Zone I've not found it to be when the same, I've found it to be a 3 to 4 point window slightly higher or slightly lower, Say 56 % left and 56 % cross I've seen quite a few karts and Including U-Max be real Fast but dead zone be 54 % cross down to 50 %, or other end Like 58% to 62%, and while in that Dead Zone kart is worse, not just same.

Yes for sure when you run same left and cross in any chassis you have a tight set-up, but some times that's what it takes.

He posted that same thing in about 15 different threads, then proceeded to agrue with everyone who disagreed with his suggestion, saying that he's gonna make alot of the "big names" and "top dawgs" mad at him for telling people those secrets. If he knew that much about karts, he would know those numbers, tire prep suggestions and everything else simply won't cover every chassis or any track like he says it will. Maybe in 1980 it would've been in the ballpark, but not with todays chassis and tire programs

Ironic isn't it. He has a right to post and debate. Just as you do. Right? He's only posting what he claims works for him. Isn't that what you do?

Ironic isn't it. He has a right to post and debate. Just as you do. Right? He's only posting what he claims works for him. Isn't that what you do?

I dont copy/paste the same info in 15 different threads, neither does anyone else I have ever seen on here trying to help. I also don't claim to be one of the best in the world at racing karts and brag about beating "top dawgs" lol

I dont copy/paste the same info in 15 different threads, neither does anyone else I have ever seen on here trying to help. I also don't claim to be one of the best in the world at racing karts and brag about beating "top dawgs" lol

He still hasn't done anything wrong. Do you have anything to disprove what he says or that he has beaten any "top dawgs"?

When some question your info (And we know they do), you take offense to it as well on occasion.

Others have no experience at all and continue to offer their "help" without regard to others objections, do they not?

Everyone has the same opportunity to ignore or use info posted.

Back