Curiosity question?

The reason its done is because it holds a more constant temperature than air.
Lmao

Nitrogen holds a more consistent pressure than compressed air because there is no moisture trapped in it.

To receive maximum benefit, a vacuum should be held on a mounted tire to remove all moisture. Then inflate with dry nitrogen.
Like most things, the more consistent the method, results follow.

Now, determine if the results are worth the effort

Most won't tell you that your internal prep has an influence on pressure change with temperature.

Lmao

Nitrogen holds a more consistent pressure than compressed air because there is no moisture trapped in it.

To receive maximum benefit, a vacuum should be held on a mounted tire to remove all moisture. Then inflate with dry nitrogen.
Like most things, the more consistent the method, results follow.

Now, determine if the results are worth the effort

Most won't tell you that your internal prep has an influence on pressure change with temperature.

Actually thats what I meant to say.

Normal air you breath from the atmosphere is 78% Nitrogen.
So take it for what it is.

I still use Nitrogen, we've been using Nitrogen since the 90's. BUT, it's not an advantage, we've just have had the stuff for years. It's pointless to vacuum the tires. Because you absolutely cannot use anything but Nitrogen ever, or the vacuum was pointless. As much as I have to let air out, put air in and fight with sizing tires. 12-15 sets sometimes in just one brand, I'm over it. Too much work to be strictly Nitrogen and nothing else. I use the air compressor at the shop and Nitrogen at the track.

Last edited:
To put it bluntly, nitrogen will not increase lap time. Lots still use nitrogen, and lots of the biggest races in the country are won with air, its more of a personal preference. If youre looking to better lap times by switching from 1 to the other it will not happen.
Asphalt, sprint type racing you may see a change, very minor if there is.

We use nitrogen in our kart tires -- Is it a benefit on dirt? Possibly, but not important enough that I'd say you need to go that route. Having a tank with a regulator in the trailer is a huge convenience though and makes refilling our portable air tank easy. No dragging a compressor to the track and hearing it as well.
We mount everything in the shop with an air compressor. For our personal tires, we do not vacuum anything out of tires, but we do squeeze some of the air out, sure, then refill with nitrogen. When sizing the tires every week we'll use nitrogen. They'll never be 100% nitrogen (even if you use a vacuum) but the percentage of nitrogen will be considerably higher than just using outside air.

DEFINITELY use an air/water separator inline from your air compressor (whether you choose to use nitrogen or not.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I used to put Argon in race car tires. Its an inert gas and wont change pressure with temp.
Unlike helium causing a loss of grip because it's lighter then air, Argon being heavier then air, oxygen, water vapor and nitrogen will increase grip between the tire and the track.
Ideally you would use pure argon in the RF and LR and Helium in the LF and RR to enhance cross which is especially useful on low grip tracks.
You would reverse it for high grip tracks and indoor coke syrup racing.
Using Helium in the RR is especially helpful because its initial reduction at the RR will allow it to accept more weight from the left side and grip longer before your RR will go away causing either loose or snap spin off the corner.

... :)

Last edited:
We've ran nitrogen but probably didn't run it long enough to see the benefit or tailor a program around it. The cost to refill large bottles throughout the year can add up quickly. You also can pretty much throw out any historical air pressure notes you may have. Especially in cold weather races where the pressure growth from regular air is traditionally larger than summer.

Unlike helium causing a loss of grip because it's lighter then air, Argon being heavier then air, oxygen, water vapor and nitrogen will increase grip between the tire and the track.
Ideally you would use pure argon in the RF and LR and Helium in the LF and RR to enhance cross which is especially useful on low grip tracks.
You would reverse it for high grip tracks and indoor coke syrup racing.
Using Helium in the RR is especially helpful because its initial reduction at the RR will allow it to accept more weight from the left side and grip longer before your RR will go away causing either loose or snap spin off the corner.

... :)
this is a joke right?

I like the nitrogen idea. Holds 2000 psi. Thought about this a lot, the pros and cons.
Ever notice when you get to the track early. Its peaceful. No generators. No air compressors. Its nice.

Pros:
1. Won't have to fire up generator and air compressor as soon as you unload trailer. Unless AC is needed.

2. Save min. 2-4 gallons of gas, until night time and lights are needed.

3. Wont have to refuel generator 10p.m. when it runs out of gas and you lost lights. And wondering where your fire extinguisher is if you spill gas.

4. Less hours on generator, air compressor, list goes on and on.

All gasses change pressure with temp including nitrogen argon and helium. dry nitrogen poses no advantage unless the tire reaches 212 degrees F when the water turns into a gas. dirt kart tires don't get there

dry nitrogen poses no advantage unless the tire reaches 212 degrees F when the water turns into a gas.
Who puts liquid water in their tires? It's already water "vapor" when it gets there.

I dont believe nitrogen offers a very big advantage when you are talking about such a volume. But I have considered a nitrogen bottle to do away with the annoying air compressor. If and when my air compressor blows up I will consider it again.

Until then I will continue to run my 2 air dryers that I had sitting around from my failed attempt at painting.

Back