Custom axles

John Ivers did , have not seen anything of him lately. Any one know if he is still at it.
Got one from wms it may have been a special request .

Not that I make any but curious as to what you are looking for?

Ben Braun

I'm looking to get a thin wall for pavement on my impulse but they only sell 32 1/2" at hi-tech and I'd like an inch or two longer. So then I got to wondering if any one makes them at different thicknesses like the road course kart manufacturers do.

I made my own. I got a length of 4130 120 wall and machined the keyways my self. If you can pick up some 4130, and there is a machine shop close by.....you're in!

You didn't have the typical run-out of tubing? I've cut keyways in the mill before, but never been happy enough with the concentricity of the OD throughout. I even tried making my own axles in the lathe and felt it wasn't worth all the effort/time for what you can buy them for. A centerless grinder would be nice to have (takes up too much floor space in my shop though,) but then again, would it be a worthwhile investment -- I'm thinking not when I price up purchasing axles from the manufactures already made to spec. :)
I do appreciate the guys like you, Harry, who aren't intimidated by making your own stuff. Years ago, race cars (sprint cars, indy cars, etc) were all hand made one off pieces -- now you just go to the local speed shop and buy the same parts as your competition. Not that buying cnc manufactured items is all bad, just that I think we have lost a lot of our craftsmen and independent thinkers. :)

You have to use quality tubing. Not that Chinese crap that's coming over here. I have always used Condition N, Mil Spec Plymouth tubing, even back when I built my own sprint car chassis. I've never had any problems with it(other than being expensive now!) I did get some tubing one time from a shop that didn't handle Plymouth tube,. I had a job to do and bought Brand X tubing. When I got it back to the shop, and looked it over, the wall thickness wasn't the same all around the tube. I took it back. I've built a lot of stuff thru my years in auto racing, but like you say, it's not like that anymore. It's all "Buy & Bolt". I got to meet and work with a lot of people in the sport that I learned a lot from. One of my best friends taught me a lot, you probably know him. He used to build all the Sprint car wings for most of the WoO boys and the All Stars. Butch Evans of Speedway Airflow out of Parkersburg W.VA. My shop space is limited also. I recently downsized to a smaller shop, and down sizing my work load also. Sorry to get off track here, but, yeah, you're right...no one builds anything themselves any more.

one of the issues with using the 1 1/4 axles you dont have the choice we do using the metric euro axles 30 mmm or 40 mm or even 50 mm thick thin etc etc or even go to some other brands t 3 t 4 etc etc very easy to tune the chassis want more grip put in a harder axle hooked up to tight put in a soft or softer axle now i believe theres a company called PMI that makes an assortment of axles in 1 1/4 should be able to find thru the sprint side of karting
Anyone making custom 1 1/4" axles?? Different lengths and thicknesses.

Back