Cutting tires-no tire lathe

Surveyor

Who has tried

What technique and tools were used

Success?

I am only thinking Saturday night racing. I typically buy cut tires, but have several sets of reapers that were not cut. Watching what is being run most of the faster are cut. Most of mine will have prep on them if that makes a difference also. I would like to keep this non-tire specific though, if I find used or new stock privately can I come up with a cutting solution, or is it not really an option that will have any success.

Are you talking internal or external prep? If internal how much rolled? If external what prep was used? Although it may not be professional cuts we have always had good results with a belt sander but this is with burris. I have never bought reapers so I am unsure the preparation for cutting them.

Do I need to freeze?

How coarse a belt are you using? Surfacing takes very little off even with 80 grit it seems.

Any tips on how to know what I am getting as far as not getting too much.

No internal and Brian's Monster bite on outside

Do I need to freeze?

How coarse a belt are you using? Surfacing takes very little off even with 80 grit it seems.

Any tips on how to know what I am getting as far as not getting too much.

No internal and Brian's Monster bite on outside
So I don't freeze the tires unless for sizing purposes. I use 80, 120, 160, then I normally finish with 300. It is time consuming. If the prep is fresh I would wait a couple weeks if you don't want it gumming up. Also make sure you keep water or non ammonia window cleaner on the tires to keep them cool. Word of caution IF you are going to try to surface them on kart itself make sure you use older almost worn out bearings and don't let the axle spin freely as you will have to much rpm in the rear axle. It will not look like a fresh cut from Brian but will get the job done.

Plan on spending a good day or maybe two .
Removing much material from the entire tire is going too be labour intensive ,
Rounding the edges off is a little more feasable .

Plan on spending a good day or maybe two .
Removing much material from the entire tire is going too be labour intensive ,
Rounding the edges off is a little more feasable .
This is one of my concerns. I don't have days, I have too many clients yelling at me now for being behind. Is rounding the edge enough to make a difference?

So I don't freeze the tires unless for sizing purposes. I use 80, 120, 160, then I normally finish with 300. It is time consuming. If the prep is fresh I would wait a couple weeks if you don't want it gumming up. Also make sure you keep water or non ammonia window cleaner on the tires to keep them cool. Word of caution IF you are going to try to surface them on kart itself make sure you use older almost worn out bearings and don't let the axle spin freely as you will have to much rpm in the rear axle. It will not look like a fresh cut from Brian but will get the job done.
I resurface tires every week, trying to take an un-profiled tire to a round or semi round. Or get a little more bite with some profile using my surface machine.

I still don't get how guys are cutting tires with rasp. When I try it with 33s, even with new rasp it just scrapes.or leaves lines in tire. Even on newer unprepped tires. Give us some pointers or link to proper rasp to use. Thanks

I still don't get how guys are cutting tires with rasp. When I try it with 33s, even with new rasp it just scrapes.or leaves lines in tire. Even on newer unprepped tires. Give us some pointers or link to proper rasp to use. Thanks
From what i hear, Burris have to be put in the freezer before cutting

What he said above JGR32, try the rasp if it doesn't work for you just use the sander with more course grit, have someone's know round cut close where you can compare it, or make a cardboard template for 1 set if need be, you cannot go wrong by freezing them .

Guys that are hand grinding or cutting with a hand rasp are freezing their 33s prior to working on them.

@Surveyor, You can hand cut them with a bondo file. Sanding (or grinding) them to finish. The prep will make them more difficult to cut, but not impossible, You may want to chill the tires in a freezer prior to cutting if you are having issues cutting them.
You want to round the shoulders some to increase sidebite and lower the spring rate.
Keep in mind that you have no good way to gauge the depth of the tire where you are removing it on the shoulder, so you'll basically be going off of experience. Where the wear dots are located is well inside of where you will want to shape the shoulder. You will also have no way to make sure that both shoulders (or even additional tires) are cut the same depth & profile without a template. Flipping or rotating the tires results in a slight difference in handling then.
With Reapers, you might do well to set up a cross feed on your refinishing stand so you can at least flat cut them between the wear dots. A radius rod like an old V-Max cutter would be handy and could be homemade without too much effort (just time - which it sounds like you don't have enough of as it is.) Then you can use an actual cutting bit to cut the rubber off uniformly.
Used Jones machines come up for sale from time to time. They still bring good money if they are well kept and maintained, but can be well worth the investment. I usually have an extra machine here if you are looking to go that route - just give us a call at the shop.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks for all the info. Not real sure it is worth my time, but I will probably play with it anyway. I think the normal will be to buy cut tires. Thank you again.

To cut with a tire on a resurfacing machine.: Use a liberal amount of water or whatever cooling agent you prefer. Up the air pressure to 20+ psi. The rest of it is with the positioning and motion with the rasp. The smoother you are the less time you'll have to spend sanding the tire.

Back