Diesel Animals...

If we could build a common rail EFI system and drive a CP3 pump with an animal and graft in a turbocharger, we could just build a map for it using EFI Live and not worry about rolling coal. These days, except for wannabe diesel types that think drastic over-fueling is cool, it's possible to make huge HP and torque with a diesel without overfuelling enough to blow copious quantities of black smoke. And you can get away with more on the street that way, because you don't attract as much attention as long as you also avoid the half block burnouts......

That's what I've been wanting to hear in a response. I think rolling coal is fun but its just for laughs not good for much else.

This just occurred to me. I don't have any idea if it is still manufactured or not, but back in the 1960s (and maybe to this day) Perkins Diesel, a British concern, used to make a one cylinder 4 stroke diesel engine that looked for all the world like an overgrown 5hp flathead Briggs engine with both a hand crank starter and an attached electric starter installed. I don't know what the intended commercial use was (portable emergency water pumps and generators maybe? In much of the developing world back then fuel oil was commonly available but gasoline wasn't), but they also made an instructional/educational version, which is what I encountered. The difference between the educational version and the commercial version was that when disassembled, the educational version had ZERO timing marks or anything else helpful like that. The instructor would remove the crankcase side plate and alter the timing by repositioning the camshaft. Your team was then given a lab sheet with the disassembly and reassembly instructions, and the specs for intake and exhaust valve clearance and timing and fuel injection timing, assorted hand tools including a torque wrench, magnetic indicator stand, dial indicator, a piece of wire from which to make a pointer, a degree wheel, and fresh oil to add when you got it back together. If the cute little beast didn't run like a loud Swiss watch when you were done, you got a D, if it didn't run period, you got an F. If it started and ran like the loud Swiss watch, you got an A. If you could find one of those old Perkins one lungers, there is probably a lot of fun to be had with it - there was a small group of hot rodders in my group, and we always wondered about developing some sort of supercharger or turbocharger for one, including a somewhat hairbrained but probably doable scheme to make a blower powered by a .049 to .099 gas model airplane engine using stuff we had on hand, but the instructors wouldn't hear of that. By modern standards, the main inconvenience to boosting performance, other than natural aspiration, was that it used a classic mechanical unit injector for FI, so any mods to the fuel map would involve modifications to one lobe of the camshaft rather than tweaking an electronic control module with a laptop.

Back