***** Dirt Oval vs Pavement*****

steve baker

Why is Dirt oval racing so much more popular than Asphalt oval racing? Basically the same style kart and engine platform and maybe even asphalt racing is cheaper? But yet dirt is way more popular, for sure in the south east.

Steve

Just plain and simple is more fun and challenging racing on dirt also, track conditions constantly changing makes for good racing

asphalts for racing, dirts for grown corn and taters.....

or at least that's what I've always been told...I prefer taters and beans myself.....

Been racing dirt for a number of years. Started racing the WKA road race series this year and love it. Way more seat time and don't have all that tire prep to deal with. Love the speed, too. We just have to travel so far to get to good tracks and races to race on asphalt. Kershaw is a good 11/2 hours and Roebeling Road is 2 and dosent run very much. So, we keep racing some dirt, too. Plenty of tracks to choose and lots of competetion. May run some gold cup sprint this upcoming year. Headed to Daytona for the road race after Christmas.

your right barry in that dirt changes so much that one week prep 'a' works great, but the next week it doesn't......tires aren't dirt or aspahlt specific (at least the ones that i've ran!), but you have to keep different sets for the type of prep that you need. aspahlt on the other hand, get some heat into the tires and they don't necessarily need any prep at all. i have used some and felt the differences and i believe that SOME prep is good....not to the extent that i've seen dirt racers use, but getting the tires to fire right off is important whether on dirt or aspahlt. i've found that just a simple shot of wd40 or simple green helps to fire off at the drop of the green.....

jncyall....i race at watermelon capital speedway in cordele...granted it's not a road course, but it's a BIG oval and you get plenty of seat time!! not to mention that it's down right fun!

as far as dirt and asphalt tracks....historically, dirt tracks have been around a lot longer....most were created to fill the need for racers to have a place to go....so farmers cut tracks in the back 40...paving a track didn't come along until years later. most of it was cost to lay the foundation and paved the dang thing....and instead of this expense, tracks elected to stay dirt.

racing on pavement or dirt....well each have thier advantages, but when you really get down to it...racing on pavement can be said to be a precise, calculated and straightforward style of racing....whereas dirt? there is a lot to be said for slinging dirt, hitting a corner and slamming the kart sideway, drifting through the corners with the rears throwing dirt everywhere and watching the driver work the kart......

as far as dirt and asphalt tracks....historically, dirt tracks have been around a lot longer....most were created to fill the need for racers to have a place to go....so farmers cut tracks in the back 40...paving a track didn't come along until years later. most of it was cost to lay the foundation and paved the dang thing....and instead of this expense, tracks elected to stay dirt.

So maybe that is the biggest factor, dirt has a long time root in oval racing and a lot more tracks available to race at? It sounds like dirt is more expensive than pavement for the racers, tires, prep, and all the time to clean up kart after the race. But it looks like dirt is where the big shows are and all the big $$$ payouts. What ever it is, dirt is working good +2100 entries at the Thanksgiving Thunder race............ Big Feeds Big........everyone likes to be involved in all the excitement and high levels of competition!

Steve

I have run both. Prefer asphalt. Steve, the answer to your question is plain and simple. The dirt promoters have flat outrun the asphalt promoters. You can race for some nice cash on dirt pretty much every weekend year round. You can barely find an asphalt race because asphalt has NO HYPE !!!!! At least in the southeast anyway. I don't think the real racers care if it's dirt or pavement, they go where the competition is, and the competition is where they can get paid. JMO

There are tires that are dirt or asphalt specific. The orientation of the wear indicator dots usually denotes which is which. Straight across or offset. Asphalt prep is a huge deal much like dirt except you mostly roll internally.

I have run both. Prefer asphalt. Steve, the answer to your question is plain and simple. The dirt promoters have flat outrun the asphalt promoters. You can race for some nice cash on dirt pretty much every weekend year round. You can barely find an asphalt race because asphalt has NO HYPE !!!!! At least in the southeast anyway. I don't think the real racers care if it's dirt or pavement, they go where the competition is, and the competition is where they can get paid. JMO

Are the organizations / promoters taking notes...........!

I race pavement oval, and it's specifically because I don't have the time or help to fool with all of the tire prep that I have been led to beleive is required to properly run dirt. Vega Yellows, a new RR every 6 races and a new RF every 9...air pressure adjustments as the day goes on...my 11 year old crew cheif/ daughter scrapping between heat and feature- I'm golden. HOWEVER...the two dirt tracks within 40 minutes out draw the pavement track 3 to 1 every weekend, and i do wish we had more racers!

as far as dirt and asphalt tracks....historically, dirt tracks have been around a lot longer....most were created to fill the need for racers to have a place to go....so farmers cut tracks in the back 40...paving a track didn't come along until years later. most of it was cost to lay the foundation and paved the dang thing....and instead of this expense, tracks elected to stay dirt...

Not necessarily true with karting. The first kart Ingles & Borelli built was run on a paved parking lot. From there kart racing began on paved parking lots. Gradually people began building dirt tracks for karts afterwards right along with paved sprint tracks for karts.

From what I see traveling out of longisland, there are a ton of dirt tracks. Most are backyard racers and groups who race for fun, from this point they will step up into series and money races. its rare to get someone off the street into kart racing right away. Asphalt is harder. Tracks cost a penny to build. asphalt racing is tougher, not only does the equipment take more of a beating your bodt does as well. you need to know more about chassie dynamics to stay competetive. The wrecks are hard on equipment. Dirt is tuff because of the tire game, but the racers who know both are the ones winning!

Local called it. If you planned an Asphalt race in june or august, promoted the snot out of it 90 days in advance with the same pay out as Thanksgiving Thunder people would show up. I bet you get 500 entries the first year. It takes a while to get to 2100 entries. You would find some dirt guys finding a way to get some tires together and show up for a chance to win 10K. However, there is only so many dollars to go around. To get 10K for this race would mean you are going to have to take it from somewhere else. Ill throw in $100! I would for sure sponsor a few laps.

Ill tell you what, someone puts up a 10K to win race on an asphalt oval Ill be there. We drive 20+ hours for a Gold Cup in FL. Id drive that far for a shot at 10K and to be a part of that atmosphere? It would be a blast.

Don't have nearly enough tire knowledge to run a big dirt show. Thats the only thing that is preventing us from attending those events.

I got to say that after building a clay dirt track, 1 it was not cheap to build 2 if you ever were around to see what goes on to prepare the track for racing it takes a lot of time each week and people, now i have a 7/10 mile sprint track too all i have to do is spend 3 hours mowing the grass no track work, also been racing sprint tracks a long time and i would take the trophy over the money any day its bragging rights people, but this year to bring the kart count up i am going to pay out to the sprint racers and see what happens (we are not used to getting paid) I think that i will pull racers from the dirt series to the sprint series because we dont have any other tracks in the area. Tim Kays Pittsfield championship karting assoc.

Back