Disc clutch pick???

MiCkEyDeAn

There are a few tracks i run where a disc clutch is allowed ... Getting tired of be beat on the restarts because of my drum clutch ... What bully disc clutch should i get for my clone running akra medium

Are you sure you have your clutch slipping at peak torque on the starts?

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Are you sure you have your clutch slipping at peak torque on the starts?

Commentst compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.��

No im not sure ... Ive just got my kart to handle well im faster than most of the karts ive raced once i get going ... Just takes a lap or two to regain what I lose on the start and restarts my stinger is older i got it used 2 years ago so now as far as kart tuning im down to the grit .. The clutch ... Im running on dirt tracks if that helps you guys with any suggestions

No im not sure ... Ive just got my kart to handle well im faster than most of the karts ive raced once i get going ... Just takes a lap or two to regain what I lose on the start and restarts my stinger is older i got it used 2 years ago so now as far as kart tuning im down to the grit .. The clutch ... Im running on dirt tracks if that helps you guys with any suggestions
best way I've found to determine best clutch stall RPM is this.

Put a bathroom scale between the front of your kart and a strong wall. At full throttle, the best clutch setting, rpm wise, will be the one that produces the highest reading on the scale. Don't forget where you heard it.

best way I've found to determine best clutch stall RPM is this.

Put a bathroom scale between the front of your kart and a strong wall. At full throttle, the best clutch setting, rpm wise, will be the one that produces the highest reading on the scale. Don't forget where you heard it.

If he has a drum clutch on his kart and races against guys who are running disk clutches, he will never get as good of starts. The only way to compete with a drum clutch against disk clutches is if you were racing against really old disk clutches and had a brand new drum clutch.

My suggestion is to order any disk clutch that you can afford. Any disk clutch should be better than your drum clutch

http://www.muller.net/mullermachine/docs/clutch1.html
when I first switched from a centrifugal clutch, (Burco) to a disk clutch, (1977) I felt no difference on the low-end, but it was better on the top-end.

If the disk clutch is better off the turns and the starts, it can't be by much. If the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque, and that's important, it's transferring that torque through the chain to the axle. Unless the shoe clutch is creating a lot of heat, a power loss, there should be no difference off the turns, disk or drum.

if you've read Muller's article, you might want to use the clutch with the heaviest shoes and strongest springs.

I have the MartinBuilt Touch 2 disc 6 spring clutch on sale right now 225.00 with out gear and your stinger gears will work on it give me a call if interested 270-564-1507

http://www.muller.net/mullermachine/docs/clutch1.html
when I first switched from a centrifugal clutch, (Burco) to a disk clutch, (1977) I felt no difference on the low-end, but it was better on the top-end.

If the disk clutch is better off the turns and the starts, it can't be by much. If the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque, and that's important, it's transferring that torque through the chain to the axle. Unless the shoe clutch is creating a lot of heat, a power loss, there should be no difference off the turns, disk or drum.

if you've read Muller's article, you might want to use the clutch with the heaviest shoes and strongest springs.

I wish I raced against guys who think like this if you honestly believe that a shoe clutch is almost as good as a disk clutch. Maybe that was the case back when you raced, but it isn't the case now

Im just looking to get a better take off just seems very sluggish off the start
do you know your stall RPM? Have you tested it with a bathroom scale? If your clutch is slipping at peak torque on the starts, you'll get your best, "take off". If you do the bathroom scale trick, and are 100% certain that the stall RPM is at peak torque, and it still feels sluggish, maybe you do need a disk clutch. But even if you have a disk clutch, if it's not set to peak torque, you're still going to feel sluggish off the start.

do you know your stall RPM? Have you tested it with a bathroom scale? If your clutch is slipping at peak torque on the starts, you'll get your best, "take off". If you do the bathroom scale trick, and are 100% certain that the stall RPM is at peak torque, and it still feels sluggish, maybe you do need a disk clutch. But even if you have a disk clutch, if it's not set to peak torque, you're still going to feel sluggish off the start.

The stinger i have now has yellow springs in it i think they are wore out because at 2500 rpm it engages and dosent slip any above that point ... But I've got new springs for it on the way i order all the different sets of springs to try your bathroom test on this week ...

Back