Disc clutches

richie59

Anyone have observations or evaluations of Noram Cheetah or the Top Dog 3 disc clutch, vs. Bully or some other brand. Just moving from shoe clutch to disc, and need advice. Thanks. Richie

Anyone have observations or evaluations of Noram Cheetah or the Top Dog 3 disc clutch, vs. Bully or some other brand. Just moving from shoe clutch to disc, and need advice. Thanks. Richie

Do you really need a 3 disc clutch? Talk to George and ask him about his clutch specifically. For stock classes I think that's overkill, but he knows his clutches better than I do.

I wouldn't get the Noram (for performance and durability reasons) although I've heard of guys that just really love theirs.

I don't want to sound like I am slamming anyone's product, but Bully clutches are the best seller for a reason (again, in my opinion.)
They certainly hold their value on resale as well.
The others are less expensive for sure, but the old adage "you get what you pay for" still rings true in my opinion.

Now, with that said, some of the aftermarket "Bully copies" are pretty decent in quality and it seems everyone has started calling them their own with some really cool name for them.

Just about any clutch will do the job if set-up correctly and maintained properly.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The Top Dog 2 disc is advertised for Jr and adult up to 400 lbs, the 3 disc up to 450. I run Sr stock or BS Heavy at 375 and was just thinking it might be better to have a little extra leeway with a clutch that only costs an extra $20.

I would guess Top Dog is made by a major manufacturer too, with the TD name given to it, since George seems to be the only one selling them, and I'm sure doesn't make his own. Just guessing, but. . . . .

Brian, I really appreciate your astute posts on this site. Has been lots of help to me. I'm 72 years old and only racing for 3+ years, and obviously still learning lots. And I appreciate your closing remarks too "God bless." I am a believer and I am greatly blessed.

Richie

We've been using Tomar Clutches for a while and have won our share of races, Get mine from Laukaitis and now have their clutch, I am very sure it too will win us a few.

Thank you for the kind words, Richie.

Unless you're on a track that has a LOT of restarts, or sprint racing where you're in and out of the clutch every lap, I would not get the 3 disc, but again, I'd defer to George on that decision. His two disc should handle your weight just fine.

Go with a two disc vortex the black or the new red one.very simple to set up and they use bully gears so you don't have to worry about not getting gears for it.

Thanks Brian. Very good point. My friend Lewis Stout said 2 disc also. I'm sure you both know from experience what works. I am not one to ask for advice, get a good answer, then go do something else. I have my eye on a 2 disc, 6 spring used Bully with a bunch of drivers covering the range I need, for a very good price. Or else, it will likely be the Top Dog from George. Thanks again for all your input.

Don't forget to check with David Martin at Martinbuilt. His clutches are fantastic and resonable. He makes his own.

George and David purchase their clutch parts from the same OEM manufacturer.

What they do with those parts upon receipt, sets them apart.

Can't go wrong with either one :)

Thanks msquiers and Michael Curry. That is great info to know. I did not know about Martinbuilt. Will look into both suppliers and buy from one.

You might also check out Dover Power website, he sells a great clutch, I have used them on clones for the past season and will be using them again this year, I love them. Its called the GoldieLocks and comes in single, 2disc and 3disc versions, uses the same Bully drivers also. I used thr 2 disc for stock clones and 3 disc for open clone. Its a very good clutch for the money (less than $200 for 2 disc) and can get them rebuilt just as cheap as other clutches. You can buy 2 of these for thr price of one new Bully. No its not 100% the same quality as Bully but performs just as well from my experience, since i have had both brands, and I prefer the GoldieLocks over the Bully.

Back