Discuss please

Zach Jaynes

There are obviously numerous threads discussing (and arguing) who everyone thinks is the "best" clone builder. I'm hoping to do this without creating argument. Here is what's on my mind. We are looking to buy as many as 3 clones (two unrestricted and one plate motor) to travel to some of the larger regional/national events throughout the South from time to time (especially during the indoor season). We will be running Senior champ and jr sportsman champ. Obviously motors can be bought new for as little as $500ish to as much as $1,300ish depending on the builder. Like everyone, I would love to buy motors at the lower end of the price spectrum from an economical standpoint, but what I don't want to do is buy a motor (at any price) and wonder if we're leaving something on the table from a horsepower standpoint. I understand that all motor builders have their own individual style and "tricks", but what I don't understand is how (or why) motors built from the same rule book, with such specific tolerances, vary in price to the extent that they do where a person could literally buy two motors from some builders for the price of one from another builder. I guess my ultimate question is, are there any builders who are toward the lower end of the price scale who's motors run up front at national level events with any regularity? I know the top 5 or so big name builders (which to a point seems to be ever evolving) can almost always be found somewhere on the podium at most major events, but I can't help but wonder if those racers wouldn't still be standing on the podium with a $500 motor built by someone other than one of the "big guys". I completely understand that it takes an entire package including motor,tires,setup,clutch, and driver to run up front at national level events. I don't have any local builders in my immediate area, so I'm looking at having to do business from a distance anyway so geographical location isn't big deal. Please discuss your thoughts (nicely,LOL) on this subject. Any opinions/input greatly appreciated.

I needed the oil changed in my truck. The oil and filter at Advance was about $19.95. They had a special. Jiffy Lube wanted $29.95. They also were running a "special". The dealership was charging $79.95. No "special" mentioned. I changed it myself. I couldn't imagine why anyone would pay what the dealership wanted. They had a sign out front for "mechanic wanted" due to so much business.
I personally don't believe that a smaller builder, who is actually an engine builder (that's key), leaves anything on the table as far a power goes. His (or hers) engines probably make as much power as the "big" builders. The only advantage may be that they have a few more parts to pick from or maybe, just by shear volume, encounter some "trick" stuff. I doubt it. I build my own stuff. I do it because that's what interests me and I get huge amounts of satisfaction from it. As much as you want to think so, there is NO super secret black magic to making this engine run good. Any competent engine builder who has the tools and machinery and builds these clones on any kind of regular basis can make power.

i needed the oil changed in my truck. The oil and filter at advance was about $19.95. They had a special. Jiffy lube wanted $29.95. They also were running a "special". The dealership was charging $79.95. No "special" mentioned. I changed it myself. I couldn't imagine why anyone would pay what the dealership wanted. They had a sign out front for "mechanic wanted" due to so much business.
I personally don't believe that a smaller builder, who is actually an engine builder (that's key), leaves anything on the table as far a power goes. His (or hers) engines probably make as much power as the "big" builders. The only advantage may be that they have a few more parts to pick from or maybe, just by shear volume, encounter some "trick" stuff. I doubt it. I build my own stuff. I do it because that's what interests me and i get huge amounts of satisfaction from it. As much as you want to think so, there is no super secret black magic to making this engine run good. Any competent engine builder who has the tools and machinery and builds these clones on any kind of regular basis can make power.

great reply !!

jsstump#70 said it best! can't argue with that! my engines might not make the same horsepower that some others do or have the high dollar parts that are msut haves according to some, but i built them myself and that is good enough for me!

Think about it this way......I would rather have a great set of tires and a decent motor, than a great motor and a decent set of tires.

Hotrod, I definitely see your point. That's another area where I'm quite lost. Meaning I'm totally unclear as to what constitutes a "great" set of tires. Obviously I know that varies depending on the situation. It's all so confusing....

Think about it this way......I would rather have a great set of tires and a decent motor, than a great motor and a decent set of tires.

Agree with this x1000!! Motor is not where it's at. Tire's, tire's and then tire's again. Agree with every statement on here. Great reply's

Theres a reason why you see the same 5 builders out front at every big event, they have the resources and knowledge. Knowledge is sometimes what youre paying for with that engine.
A small builder may have an engine that can run up front, but can he produce 10 engines that will be there. Will he be there to share info with you at those big races?
If youre wondering whether you left HP on the table with a smaller builder, i think you just answered your own question.

i would say call ricky jordan out of conway sc, always the same power build after build,, power that runs with the big boys ,, and when you send in for a rebuild he actually rebuilds unlike what they say about another big engine man here at the beach,

Really. You don't want to start and argument? Then you ask about who builds the fastest best clone for the money? Looking at your join date, you are not new to Bob's.
Go home and tell you wife, I don't want to start and argument, But have you noticed that your a## is getting really big?
Now since you need 3, Build one of the kit motors or get a cheap local builder, get one from a national builder, and buy a harbor freight engine and do it yourself.
Let me know how that works out for you. Especially the wife part!

Really. You don't want to start and argument? Then you ask about who builds the fastest best clone for the money? Looking at your join date, you are not new to Bob's.
Go home and tell you wife, I don't want to start and argument, But have you noticed that your a## is getting really big?
Now since you need 3, Build one of the kit motors or get a cheap local builder, get one from a national builder, and buy a harbor freight engine and do it yourself.
Let me know how that works out for you. Especially the wife part!
Now that's funny
And true!

Back