Discuss please

Could be that they sought out the top talent, and offered free engines for the exposure to make them a top engine builder.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, just saying.

OR ....... Maybe they're not just "engine builders" and are actually very well versed with passing along great setup info as well.

Here's what the smart local engine builder, who's engines you see up front does.

Your at the track every week and you have seen a lot of kids grow up racing. Your also able to pick out the kid who seems to have a little bit of talent and who's parents likely will provide them with good equipment. What you do is when you see the kid mature and become maybe a little better then other kids or progress faster, you cut the parents a deal on an engine. The parents save a buck and you then have your engine on the shiniest, most well prepared kart on the track, which also has a competent possibly up and coming driver. For the rest of the racers that combination is what they will be chasing and the rest of the racers will feel they will also have to have the same engine. The truth of the matter is the front running kart would have been the front running kart, no matter who's engine is on it. The slick smart local engine builder was able to put his engine on the winning kart, the winning kart did not go out and seek the engine builder. What follows is if the engine builder gets his engine on enough already quality stuff and becomes a national engine builder. I'd bet what ever name you choose and relate to as the good stuff, followed that sequence to success. General you won't get offered house motors or a deal on price, until after you beat or about to beat other house motors.

When your buying a race engine, here's another thing to consider. The engine builder is not always going to give you the best engine he can produce, but they will still charge the price of the best they can produce. The engine builder is going to give you an engine, built to what they think you can handle. If you don't have the knowledge to use his best stuff, it will not only not perform well for you, it will most likely fail and you'll blame the engine builder for your lack of skill.

you buy the engine and win or place in the top three, then the engine builder is the nicest and best there is......you buy the engine and blow it up for what ever reason, then the engine builder screwed you....

for the engine builder, it's a tight rope walk.....one little move either way and his rep is toast. I build my own, then if it wins great, if it blows, it's my own fault. not that I wouldn't like to have one of the high dollar motors........

OR ....... Maybe they're not just "engine builders" and are actually very well versed with passing along great setup info as well.

Thats very true, I trust the local builder who builds my pro clone engine, he comes to the tracks where we race and sticks around the pit with us, offering advice on tires and setup and passing along information, its good to have someone like that who you can swap info with at the track like that. Even if he isn't there, he always has his phone on him and asks how we are doing, what tires and prep we're on, who's fast and who isn't, you can tell he is actually interested in how his customers are doing and wants to help any way he can, that to me is what makes a good engine builder. Before I got into racing karts, I didn't know alot about all the little tricks and things like that which builders have with these engines and the rules, I just knew how to work on engines and how to make power, but IV learned alot just observing the builders in my area and talking to them, learning everything I could. Most of the builders around here always have their door open for customers no matter what day of the week it is.

If you plan to run that $1200 clone at least 10 times, you'd be foolish to buy the $500 motor. With as many resources as it takes to haul halfway around the country, why even sweat the extra $70 per race it would take to run the national motor? My opinion but I don't ever want to doubt the HP I bring, especially racing at that level.

Man go with a builder that will be there for you after he sales you the motor,reguardless the price. We have ran your "top name" builders and they were topnotch when I was writting them a check,butthe customer service after that sucked. We went with a local builder and plan to stay with him until he retires. Give me good horsepower and I will eat you up with a great setup and tires.

Back