do you really have to have a huge name engine builder!

'TI' is one of the "Best"!!!

In all my years of racing the McCullough's, nobody ever built any of my engines. Even after switching to the KT and the Rotary valves, after Terry Ives blueprinted them, I did the rebuilds and the between race maintenance myself. Let's face it, blueprinting an engine requires some very expensive tools. Even rebuilding, after the blueprint, requires some expensive measuring and assembly tools, and the knowledge of how to use them.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.(Al Nunley
How's this for (%) Al? Chassis/set-up = 35%....'Driver' = 35%....Engine = 30% (and that's w/ me having one of the 'best-Driver's' in the country!) ...IMO :)

The tougher your competition, the more important your motor is. Also your expectations. If you are truly just out for fun (don’t cry over getting beat) then your motor just has to run. But this is racing so if you have a competitive spirit that might not do it for you…

As a rookie, the driver has too much to learn before he can utilize all of the motor. Same thing if the setup man is a rookie. At this point you need a reliable motor - one that you can just do basic maintenance on and doesn't distract you with problems. A professionally built motor can be an asset, especially one from a builder who is local and has time to answer your questions. But don't worry about "getting his best motor" - if he is a competent businessman he will give you your money's worth, and you can't get everything out of that "best" motor anyway.

Once you get some experience and are competitive with your local front runners, then maybe you're ready for that "best" motor. But it's only fair to pay extra for a motor that has extra. OR you may be in the position to start building your own motors. Building motors will teach you a lot, and everything you learn makes you a better team. But I wouldn't abandon the professional engine builder just yet, at least not until you can prove that you can do better.

If you decide you're ready to take on the Big Dogs then you'll probably need a professional engine builder. You'll need every ounce of performance to compete. You may have to switch engine builders to one of the elite builders. But driving talent, setup talent and luck can bridge the gap between the very best motor and a really good motor.

Realize that the “best” motor doesn’t stay that way long. It wears out quickly – changing from “best” to “really good” to “good” etc. Even refreshing weekly can’t avoid that tendency. I’d rather work on driving and setup – two things that can overcome motor shortcomings – than fret about whether I have the “best” motor.

nah screamer....i haven't raced for you....i race out here on the east coast!! and the percentages don't inlcude swelled heads!!

Tires,tires & more tires! Like the above post no motor can make up for tires & set up being off. No I don't believe I'm down on power to any ( big name ) builder. I've out ran them & Been out run by them. Have seen everyone of them tossed in tech. At some point.

Back