Dodge Neon overheated

Chipg56

Does anyone know what happens to Dodge Neons when severely overheated? Seems to leak a small amount of coolant into cylinder. None in oil and no oil in coolant. Are they prone to cracked heads? Blocks? Is it safe to assume that a head gasket will cure this? 2005 2.0L
Thanks,
Chip

you can try that copper head gasket repair stuff. I had a car that blew a head gasket while on a trip. I was going to try it for an emergency repair but it worked well. I left it like that for 5 years. It was a chevy caviler. Get the good quality stuff and follow the directions just as they say. But doing a cylinder head on a neon is pretty easy.

If you're getting coolant in a cylinder you're going to have to pull the head. Then I would take it to a good machine shop and have it checked for straightness and cracks. Also if you get a cylinder full of coolant it's possible that you can bend the connecting rod when trying to start it. Hydraulically locking the engine. Also depending on the severity of the overheating it's possible that you could have damaged the engine by taking the temper out of the piston rings and then it will use oil. If it gets to where you need a cylinder head. I got one from my daughters car about a year ago from J&C Enterprises out of WV. 199.00 including freight and Core return. My daughters broke the timing belt and it bent all the valves. Best of luck...

Thanks for the responses. After doing a pressure test I am pretty sure that the engine suffered no ill effects. Cold it lost only 1 lb after 1 1/2 hours, 20 to 19. Don't think I could expect any better then that. Cliff, that seems like a great price. Was that rebuilt or used?
Thanks again,
Chip

Chip. That was rebuilt. With out lifters or rocker arms. But you could get it either way. It came well packaged. You just put your old head back in the original box and they give you a call tag to send it back. Give them a call at 1-800-266-5599. I couldn't buy just the valves for that price. I was happy with there service and I am pretty OCD with my work. Hope this helps.

Back