Does stagger always have to cause drag on the straights ?

Andrew -- regarding above ^^ that's why setup is always a compromise. The short answer is that a given stagger is only optimal for one arc radius and any path outside of that radius induces more scrub. The greater the deviation, the greater the resistance to it. I've said that all along. Good luck with your racing. You're onto a good tip with the tire temps being equal and proper stagger will help with that. Also note that a theoretically perfect setup may be junk for maneuvering around other karts....therefore a qualifying setup may be radically different than a race setup. And now I really am done before I'm Dunn'ed again.

Ted. If you are telling me that with your setup that you kart only rolls free at one small portion of the track with the particular that set you stagger up for. And the rest of the total lap you are just dragging the LR around scrubing speed??? And then after you qualify you have to radically change the kart and it does not maneuver well in traffic??? Does it still make the same speed after the radical changes? It would be interesting to here these changes from qualifying to the race.

Paul. I have to say that your reasoning on slippage and tire temps was spot on. It makes prefect sense.

Ted. If you are telling me that with your setup that your kart only rolls free at one small portion of the track with the particular radius that set your stagger up for. And the rest of the total lap you are just dragging the LR around scrubing speed??? And then after you qualify you have to radically change the kart and it does not maneuver well in traffic??? Does it still make the same speed after the radical changes? It would be interesting to here these changes from qualifying to the race.

Paul. I have to say that your reasoning on slippage and tire temps was spot on. It makes prefect sense.

Sorry. I left the word "radius" out of my above post. It made it even more confusing than normal. LOL

Everybody is not going to agree on what's fastest, if only because those who are fast, think about stagger in different ways. In the end it doesn't matter how you think about it and what you do, so long as you win or are likely to win at the track.

I think this thread has shown many ways different racers look at, understand and use stagger. What ever you do if your successful you end up using stagger as Mr South 39 and myself have described or your running against others who are not using stagger in the best way. ... :)

In a go kart the larger RF tire causes added cross weight. There are no springs to crank. Stagger is only good for getting thru corners, straights are to be taken as "oval" as possible, without having some skunk, who hasnt used as much stagger, get under you. Phoenix and indy both use stagger. And they have long straights. Sounds like everybody is trying to reinvent the wheel. A Detroit Locker is a cool device for moderating stagger from corner entry to the pivot point.

All a locker does is put a slip clutch on a wheel. If a rear wheel starts rolling faster then the rpm of power being applied, it is released and rolls free. Power is only applied to a rear wheel, when it's current rolling speed is below the potential drive rpm. Between entry and the pivot point, even with a locker it's usually where slowing down is done. If your slowing down anyway there should be no need for a locker, but there is. Even though your slowing down it allows for a better grip distribution across the back and allows for maintaining more momentum and speed from entry to the pivot. It keeps some forward effort from being applied to the outside rear tire, by letting the outside rear free roll. The reduction of need to drive forward with the outside rear, allows for more lateral grip at the outside rear. Your still in the process of slowing down, but your now able to hold the back in better, because the outside rears grip has been adjusted to a higher lateral grip level. You still can't go any faster then grip at the rear will allow for, but once you have slowed to match up grip with speed, it makes it easier for the driver to maintain maximum momentum. ... as in see my signature below and understand a little better the "insert arc" part of it. ... :)

edit to the above: I said outside rear free rolls but it really doesn't matter which rear free rolls. The help is still which ever tire is free rolled, can gain increased lateral grip.

With a staggered solid axle and the LR loaded enough, we slip the RR by lack of load and carry more momentum. If you get a chance to watch Winged Springs under the right track conditions, what happens to the loading of the rear tires at the end of the straight, on to just past turn entry will sometimes show itself very clearly. You will see the LR slip just before the end of the straight, when the RR takes over control of acceleration and the axle shifts into high gear. If conditions are right and you can see it, it will become clear what your seeing is the RR taking over, >prior to the start of turn in<. I'm not sure nor a driver, but I think the RR taking over at the end of the straight is also(maybe) what gives the driver the seat of the pants cue there at the limit of things. I say that because how soon or later turn in occurs afterwords, makes a huge difference. First the car has to be setup well so needed dynamics can occur. And second it's about how the driver reacts and automatically or intentionally keys in on the seat of the pants cues the car gives them. A kart with a staggered solid axle or anything racing oval with a solid staggered axle works the same under ideal conditions. It's just that because of differing abilities of what you race to operate in the ideal manner, the cues become less telling to the driver. Thinking about the last statement makes me think maybe a kart is the greatest training ground of oval racing because without suspension, seat of the pants cues to the driver are enhanced. but that is all just IMHO and ain't necessarily right anyway. ... :)

thanks for reviving this thread it was fun to thunk about again while writing and having my morning coffee. ... :)

All setup by professional teams is determined by tire temperature.
Measurents are taken across the width in four points, and appropriate chassis, air, tire size, etc. adjustments are made
in an attempt to get ALL temperatures the same.

All setup by professional teams is determined by tire temperature.
Measurents are taken across the width in four points, and appropriate chassis, air, tire size, etc. adjustments are made
in an attempt to get ALL temperatures the same.

If that is how to win and there all professional teams who know how to adjust to win, then everyone would cross the finish line at the same time.

I'd bet winning goes to the professional team, who best fits variance into the picture of what is needed, to match the tires to what the track offers. I'd bet having all temps the same is no different then any other baseline and is just a baseline "ALL" professional teams use.

Tire temps do not tell exactly what is happening out on the track, they only tell you an average of what is happening out on the track. Professional teams are not interested in being average.

Back