Douglas Q vs Van-K

in the past i would have answered yes. However, Van-K has really stepped up the quality of their product over the past few years and i would prefer the Van-K over the Douglas now. Im sure most will agree

in the past i would have answered yes. However, Van-K has really stepped up the quality of their product over the past few years and i would prefer the Van-K over the Douglas now. Im sure most will agree

X2. If you are planning on running any Unilli tires, the Van K's hold those tires on the wheel better than the Douglas wheels also. Have had Unilli's pop off the right sides with Douglas wheels and have heard of this happening to plenty of others also. The lip is wider on the outside of the Van K's and seem to hold tires on better IMO

I'm still a firm Douglas guy. When cutting tires, I've not seen the quality of other brands like I do the Q+ (and we've cut them all.) Granted, VanK has certainly picked up their game. They had their own problems with beads not holding back in the powdercoated wheels days.

As far as Unillis coming off....I've heard of this as well -- it sounds more like a tire problem than a wheel problem to me though. I don't recall any other brands of tires coming off the beads recently.

Competition is good -- it makes each manufacturer work harder at producing a better quality product for us.
We stock several different brands of wheels, but for our own personal use, it's Douglas.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I switched over to VAN K 2 years ago. There new rims are nice, Just as true as douglas if not better, lighter, better bead, priced better and best of all when I order rims they are shipped cheap.

As far as Unillis coming off....I've heard of this as well -- it sounds more like a tire problem than a wheel problem to me though. I don't recall any other brands of tires coming off the beads recently.

It is definitely a Unilli tire problem. I haven't had any other tires popping off my Douglas wheels

I've had issues with Outlaws (made by VanK) the other year with Dunlops rolling off the bead, about to order some Pro Maxxs and give it another shot.

We ran 2 sets of Unillis at Daytona, 2 karts in Yamaha and Open classes, plus practice, only problem at the end was a few cracks and chunks out of center of R/R after open race. tires were prepped and mounted with Track-tack blue tire wash. Learned a long time back to never mount with things like Simple Green, when 2 sets mounted with it had inside R/R come off a 2 open karts, same day, same place.

Good to note, Jack.
Also don't use WD40 or ArmorAll (yes, it's been done.)

If slipping off the bead is a concern, consider using Windex non-ammoniated window cleaner (evaporates quickly and leaves no film) to mount your tires.

The only problem I had with a tire coming off the bead was with the older powder coated Van K wheels, and that was on a laydown enduro. As for mounting tires, The only thing I have ever used was to spray a little Armor-All on a rag, and wipe the bead. Not spraying it on the tire, just a light midst and wipe it on with a rag.

I'm still a firm Douglas guy. When cutting tires, I've not seen the quality of other brands like I do the Q+ (and we've cut them all.) Granted, VanK has certainly picked up their game. They had their own problems with beads not holding back in the powdercoated wheels days.

Competition is good -- it makes each manufacturer work harder at producing a better quality product for us.
We stock several different brands of wheels, but for our own personal use, it's Douglas.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The Moree Kings had this problem also, and were told to use the Van K.
Not a wheel problem.
The Van K is what i use and sell. The Maxx Pro wheels look great, but i prefer the P Zero.

We had zero problems with beads coming off at Daytona, 2 karts in Yamaha and 2 karts in open class, used same sets on both karts 2 days.

You were lucky then. The kid who was winning the Pro race by a mile blew both right sides off the wheels. Like Earl said, it's a tire problem not wheel problem. Unilli tried to make a cheaper tire and has done that, just aren't up to par yet with other brands

I've used most all of the brands at one time or another. Douglas Q+ wheels are the strongest and best in my opinion. They are less likely to warp or bend when they take a "hit". They cost a bit more for a reason.......quality and durability.

I have a set of the Outlaw version of the Maxx Pro, and although I think it's a great looking wheel, I don't like the way the stem is positioned. At least for me, the regular Pro wheel is much easier to fill and check the air.

What's amazing to me is Van K and Douglas have been making wheels for over 35 (?) years and they're still very popular. A company doesn't stay at the head of the class for that length of time unless they make a good product!

Back