Drum clutch question

jtrent64

We have to run a drum clutch and my Rookie driver likes to keep pushing on the gas and the brake at the same time. We are working on her to stop pushing on both, but I am pretty sure the clutch was smoking some before I got her shut off.

I have not taken it off and looked at it yet, but is it shot? can I sand the pads and drums down and still be OK? WhenI take it apart, what do I look for to see if it is still good?

Thanks

Jason

Check to see if there is any metal transfer on shoes or drum.also a blue purple color will tell u it got hot.I've ran max torque for years and between race weeks sanding is a must imo.I use emery cloth and sand the shoes going against the rotation on shoes and drum.wipe off with rag and lube bushing

If you have corrected the brake while accelerating problem. Yes: if not, no.
This is of course subjective as we can not see the clutch, I can't imagine it being that bad.
I've seen drum clutch's smoking so bad the driver is moving to the left to get away from the heat.
Was it a new clutch? How many runs like this? Has it affected the performance, that's when you should be concerned.
metal to metal transfer is an indication , plenty of drums with it have been sanded and ran after. the purple and blue color again is some what standard. neither is ideal both are typical.

She is 6, so it will be happening again, but she is getting better about it. I will sand, check for metal on the pads and lube. The clutch was one season old and this was her second full race.

I think I have enough info now so I can monitor and replace it when needed. Thanks everyone!

Back