Dual Motor.... One Two stroke, One Four

RadialFin

I think this could be an interesting and fun project, not necessarily looking to win anything here, and this would for asphalt sprint, not dirt oval.
I have a few ideas and options for the two stroke motor, but what about the four stroke? Thoughts? Say a budget of $600, alky=OK.
If I can get it to fit into UAS rules that would be a plus.

My thought on twins is your only as fast as your slowest engine. On this subject i think your going to need an overrunning clutch once you peak the 4 stroke the 2 cycle has to take over. the rev rates are so much different I don't think you could connect to a j/s with out some type of disconnect. You need more get up and go out of that slow corner?

I think this could be an interesting and fun project, not necessarily looking to win anything here, and this would for asphalt sprint, not dirt oval.
I have a few ideas and options for the two stroke motor, but what about the four stroke? Thoughts? Say a budget of $600, alky=OK.
If I can get it to fit into UAS rules that would be a plus.
Are you saying the budget is $600 for a dual engined kart. $600 for the dual engines only?

It isn't worth the effort. The engines have to be nearly exactly the same. If they aren't, they won't run correctly. You will have multiple issues that will compile to the point where you can't figure out what is wrong. It will be one heartache after another.
Mike

I thought it was 600 for the four stroke.
Got any ideas PD
I guess for the $600 budget, find an old running snow blower and old Briggs lawn edger, take the motors off and bolt 'em on a skateboard.
Extend the rear axle a few inches outside the skateboard on each side. Attach a V belt on each engine to a V pulley on each side of the axle.
Head down hill, fire 'em up, and GO.
Might be able to start a whole new racing series with these. Compete with the mini-bike racers.

Sprint style racing has some demands on your engine choice. long straights tight hair pin turns, The single 2 stroke has been the engine of choice for a reason. Twin single engines are double the trouble in my opinion.

This is more about building something a little whacky really, something that looks and sounds a little crazy. Naturally this setup is going to be a compromise I'm not too worried about that. I'd like to keep the weight reasonable and use something thats already applicable to karts. 2 stroke wise I have a 125cc KF2 (Think Rotax Max with more umph) and a 100cc rotary aircooled FA.
I'm more curious about what 4cycle I can put on the left side that puts out something in the region of 30HP. If I cant do that, then I might as well put a pair of weird two strokes on. In that case I'd put a 125cc Reed KF on the right and a 100cc Rotary on the left.

OK take the KF 2 w/gearbox and a Open Tecumseh Star (357cc) - Build the Star with a clutch set up for corner off Torque, Install a BTL (back torque limiting) after market clutch on the KF 2 move your radiator fwd right side, hope your not a big guy because now you have 140#'s of motor weight, 70#'s each side that somehow you have to sit between. And while we are there, One more combination with the KF 2 is a Stock Briggs Animal...gen-set powering a electric motor - looks like a motor with two jack shafts, Instant power, so much so that you will turn off the JR 2 KF.

Budget is $600 for the four cycle motor. Obviously not the whole kart or both motors!
So tecstar might be an option, I'll start looking at those.
KF doesnt have a transmission, you are thinking of KZ. KF is single speed motor with a low stall clutch, pneumatic power valve and a 15K rev limiter. Weighs probably 40lbs?

You've lost me on the stock briggs animal, can you explain that setup more? Incidentally I have an LO206 but for the power its puts out vs its weight no point in using it IMO.

Back