Dumb question. Draining Oil

Dryslick13

How do you drain the oil without making a mess? I tried putting a funnel at the drain opening in fron of the engine, but it still leaks down the front of the motor mount, on the frame rails, and down the kart stand. Does anyone make something that will thread into the drain opening with a hose on it or something? That hot oil sure spreads quickly :rolleyes:

Not a dumb question...lol

Get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid the ones like oil comes in. The ones with the round pour hole in top of lid work best.
Get one of those fairly large diameter auto style funnels with the flex tube (like this http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Auto-Service-Tools-flexible-tube-plastic_60099476396.html)
Put the funnel in the hole in the top of the bucket lid. When you use it, you just put the bucket on your kart stand shelf or a milk crate, pull the funnel right up to the drain plug, bingo!

I used on of these a guy had at a race last weekend. Slick and easy. Also gives you something to take your oil to the recyclers in.

I use the ratio rite cup to catch the oil from the motor. It has a wide mouth, and a spout to make pouring it into the oil drum convenient.

Borrow one of your wife's cake pans. Ha Ha
You know 12" X 10" or so.
Then clean the kart with a rag and then some brake kleen.
Some guys put right angle fittings in place of the stock drain plug.
Just make sure to change the oil when it's hot so you get any debris that is suspended in the oil out.
If you let it sit and cool off the debris will settle to the bottom and it won't come out with the oil.
Don't overtighten the drain plug!! It's a pipe thread. It's tapered. I've seen guys tighten it so tight that they crack the block on the bottom side.

We used several layers of aluminum foil to fashion a drain ramp that would stay in place until the oil completely drained into whatever catch container we used..........then we put the "drain ramp" into an altered plastic container screwed to the trailer wall so the "drain ramp" could itself drain without making a mess in the trailer.

With different engines, motor mounts, and chassis........we could fashion the ramp(s) to suit.

We use a left over plastic folgers coffee can to catch it. It's nice since you can put a lid on it in case you can't get to the oil drum at the track right away. Just have come to the understanding between the kart and I that I will clean up the oil from the motor and frame rails.

specially bent piece of alum with sticky back tape on one end.. stick it to the block and sends the oil right over into a cut T4 bottle that sets in a special hanger from the frame.... not so well if your out side and it's windy.. otherwise works great

Also helps having an electric kart stand that I can lower to a 45 deg angle along with the funnel suggestions above

I use a cake pan like Jimbo suggested. The corners pour easily into a jug and it's easy to clean and inspect the oil to see how much glitter the engine is...or hopefully isn't, producing. If you change the oil with the kart on the ground an old frying pan can be used as well, put a 4x4 under the rear of the kart, slide the pan under and pull the plug. Offer to fry your fellow racers up some fritters if they give you a bad time about it:)

Be sure to wash the area around the drain plug and the fill plug before you drain the oil. Cleaning both will prevent getting dirt in the engine when you put the plugs back in.

Back