Durometer

Shore is expensive. Intercomps are a little more consistent and accurate than longacre if you cant afford a shore

This is one of the best.

http://www.ptc1.com/durometers_racing_tire.htm

I have one just like it that I only use in the shop when doing tires. I have tested my Intercomps against it and they have all been spot on. All I use at the track and sell through the shop is Intercomp due to their quality and they are actually very affordable ($58) even compared to the lesser quality durometers on the market.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Between Intercomp and Longacre analog durometers, Intercomp is the hands-down winner. Shore is a widely respected brand in instrument circles, but Intercomp is found in more parts trailers and kart shops.

How do the digital durometers compare to the analog? I saw digital durometers pop up that look identical to the intercomp at half price when googled. Looks like the only difference was the name on top.

I've had a digital duro, but I wasn't happy with the consistency (no differently than using digital calipers.) They seem much more sensitive in how you use the tool (how you roll the needle into the tire each time.) I always found myself trying to "average" readings instead of trusting the actual readings themselves. I like the consistency of the dial. Just my personal preference.
I can't speak for other digital brands that might be cheaper. I've owned several brands of dial durometers over the years and I've never been as satisfied as with the Intercomp. That's not a sales pitch - just saying that's what I use today.

Back