Durometers?

Durometers, anyone ever compare several? get same readings? how do you calibrate yours? only way I know of is to use a steel plate and press down to see if it reads 100 with it on the plate, then , if it's off you need to pry up the cover and rotate the zero mark to compensate for any errors at the 100 reading.

I have compaired several durometers right out of the package and few were exactly the same...even after "zeroing" them in with the plate

I have a longacre and a intercomp, but set to 100 on a hard flat surface. The intercomp reads about 5-pts softer.

Google "calibration standards for durometers". Calibrations should usually be performed along a few points to ensure linearity across the scale. Calibrating to a single point, while effective at that point, can cause problems at other areas along the scale.

^ Exactly.

I have seen Longacres read 5-7 pounds high right out of the package compared to other brands.
I use (and sell) Intercomp durometers because I think they are a decent quality and repeatable.
I have one of the high dollar duros in the shop for use when working tires and it matches my Intercomp every time. At the track, all I use is the Intercomp.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

They are just relevant numbers...use the same one and same way each time and you should be fine....kinda like scaling karts...scales vary from one to another as well, as air gauges....even in nascar....they all vary....with durometers it will mainly be if you use stick method or roll method as well....just try to be consistant on how tools are used and numbers should come out close each time....then if you want to get picky...it comes down to tires and engine builders on how they use their tools consistently to make sure you have a winning product.....and etc,etc......

Consistency begins with accurate, repeatable test equipment. Intercomp is a widely respected brand, not only by racers, but also by precision measurement professionals.

Back