Dyno 356 cam

zenawarrior

I bought this cam grinded down to a 310 lift. I don't know have they look like, but the top of the cam is now flat maybe 3/16" wide across with sharp edge on the on and off ramp. I took the cam to a cam grinding place and they told me it's useless. Is that normal or did I get a dud.

Sounds to me like you have a lower lift cam with a fat duration. Dub off the 2 sharp corners at the edges of the top flats and give it a whirl in your race engine, you might be surprised!

Steve

If you take a 356 lift cam and have it ground down to 310 lift you will have what you describe.
If you grind the edges rounded off you will end up with a standard 310 lift cam.
This was a common method of getting more duration in the F 200 class years ago when we were limited to 275 lift by the rules.
Yes it's hard on the valve train.

I know a guy who runs or has run a cut down .356 in a basically open clone with lots of other work.. THAT THING IS POWERFUL!!! His peak RPM is usually around 9,200-9,300RPM.. This is at the end of our longest straight on a road course...
Let us know how you like it!!!
K~

Back