dyno cam

briggs206

hi guys. I was shopping for cheap camshafts today for my 5hp and I found a dyno cam 00-6 and a 00-4 on clearance for $15. before I could purchase one the 00-6 got sold so I got the 00-4. im in need of a cam that doesn't require machine work or block welding. im running a kart usually drag racing about 1/10 mile distances. my engine has a stock cam and valve train but the head is milled, its ported, relieved, has 3hp flywheel with 6# advance, header, arc rod and no governor. I run about 6100-6200 rpm for a short amount of time during the race. would anyone know much about this cam and how much it should help over stock? any info would be great. thanks...

It's a stock or Superstock cam that's easy on block life because of a mild ramp design, so just right for not having to weld the block. Put in with the correct lash it will be a little better than a stock broached cam that comes in a stock motor. The lift is the same but better opening and shut numbers will help some. You don't need any more than about 30 degrees of ignition timing so that #6 key may be a bit much, it depends on that flywheel magnet position in relation to it's keyway, they can be a little different than a 5 hp wheel. Outside of the right coil leg should line up with the right edge of the magnet at .215 BTDC for approx. 30 degrees. You don't need a key , just lap the flywheel in real good with a water based lapping compound , clean it real good and torque it on 75 to 100 ft lbs. it will stay put. Jon

ok thanks for the info. my key is a 6 degree key not a number 6. do you think this cam will hurt my low end? im new to these motors as far as internal mods so im experimenting with cams. I found this 00-4 for $15 so I figured it was worth trying. how is the 94ss vs the 00-4?

The 94ss is a .268 lift cam made to turn 7000 rpm, it's a lot more cam than a 00-4, because it's not a stock legal cam. the 00-4 won't hurt bottom end. 30 degrees of ignition timing is what you want, check it next time you have the head off. If the 3 hp wheel is the same as the 5 then you are pretty close, I think you are around 32. Jon

Back