Dzus fasteners breaking...

Rikk

What am I doing wrong, I bought the kits for the front and nerf bars from PRC and I have broken 3 of the fasteners. I know I didn't mix up the springs because I opened one bag at a time and installed the springs. Anyone have any idea what I am doing or not doing???

What part of the fastener is breaking? They are pretty tough. Never seen a button, spring, or tab break. do you have the correct button depths?

Rick, I have also broken a couple because they seem shallow. Im ready to put the springs in up side down.

I also had problems with the fasteners. The prongs broke off the first time I used them. Looked to me like a heat treat problem. l

I lost 2 of them that hold the nose on Friday. IM thinking about just bolting the frt. And using them on the sides on our prc. Never broke one just lost many lol

Too short for the nose, had the same problem.

Go to your local race shop, dirt preferably, get .550 long Dzus fastners. They are the larger diameter, but fit spring and hole in nose tab. We use those along with 3/8 fender washers.

No problems now.

What part of the fastener is breaking? They are pretty tough. Never seen a button, spring, or tab break. do you have the correct button depths?

Yes, the offer a kit for their chassis well two. One for the bumper and one for the nerfs.

Rick, I have also broken a couple because they seem shallow. Im ready to put the springs in up side down.

Exactly...

I also had problems with the fasteners. The prongs broke off the first time I used them. Looked to me like a heat treat problem. l

I looked at them under a jewelers loupe and thought the same thing. The structure looks very crystalline. Just like when a brittle hard tool is broken.

Thinking i am just going to use bolts as well...

Too short for the nose, had the same problem.

Go to your local race shop, dirt preferably, get .550 long Dzus fastners. They are the larger diameter, but fit spring and hole in nose tab. We use those along with 3/8 fender washers.

No problems now.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the info.

I don't like the PRC buttons that take a allen wrench, get the larger screwdriver slotted steel buttons as suggested above, much more durable.

If the button is to short you can always bend the spring towards it to gain some. I also only use the big HD ones.usually my nose tears before the button ever comes out.

If the button is to short you can always bend the spring towards it to gain some. I also only use the big HD ones.usually my nose tears before the button ever comes out.

I tried that. The buttons just seem to be brittle. Looking for a, local to my office, race shop right now.

I've also had problems with them breaking or coming out while racing. I went with 1/4" bolts in the nose. On the sides, I put a small piece of tape over the head. No more problems.

Take a pair of channel lock pliers and squeeze the spirings (directly in the middle over the hole for the fastener) after they are installed to shorten them. They will then clamp with out breaking.

Take a pair of channel lock pliers and squeeze the spirings (directly in the middle over the hole for the fastener) after they are installed to shorten them. They will then clamp with out breaking.

Tried adjusting the spring. If they were too loose, they flopped around, once they got tight enough to actually hold the button, the button broke. Something isn't right. I took one of the already broken buttons and smacked the spring end with a hammer and it broke apart like it was a rock. I think when they were hardening the hex socket, they got carried away and hardened the whole button by mistake.

Speedway has the several different ones, you MUST CONFIRM LENGTH! Once you do that They'll last a very long time if properly installed. They also carry an oversized head aluminum button. 1-1/8 head on it, I use them for my nose instead of having to put the washers on. And yes the speedway are larger diameter. I like them better especially with my wedge.

Back